Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Getting married in a different district...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I don't really get this sort of stuff, hopefully someone can shed some light;

If you want to get married in a district which is not the one you reside in, can you do this?

For example, I live in the North Hamphire district where the local registry office is Basingstoke but we want to get hitched in a place where the local registry office is Winchester's, but from what I can tell you need to reside in the district where you want to get married for a week beforehand...

So what does this mean? I would have to live in Winchester for a week before I get married? But I don't want to! Would there be another way around it?

Comments

• Options
    aparently all you need to do is to let your local registery office know that you are going to get married in another district, i think you need to let them know at least 3 weeks in advance
  • Options
    No, we looked into this, best bet is to contact Winchester Registry office but it can easily be done without you residing in the same district, We get alot of people where I work from different counties or even countries who visit our hotel to wed.
  • Options
    Contact the registry office you want to get married in. Book your date.

Then, you have to give notice in the district in which you live. This is 2 weeks and costs about £30 each.

It's that easy :)

eta - we provisionally booked our date in the first week of september, and then gave notice the next day. When the 2 week notice period was up, we contacted the registry office that we were marrying in and told them that we had given notice and our booking was made permanent and we paid the deposit.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Hellfire wrote: »
    No, we looked into this, best bet is to contact Winchester Registry office but it can easily be done without you residing in the same district, We get alot of people where I work from different counties or even countries who visit our hotel to wed.

The rules are completely different in scotland though. Many people elope to Scotland because it is easier to get married wherever you want to in the country.

Best bet, star*, is to get in touch with the registry office and they will advise you.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Nothing to add, I just wanted to say congrats :)