Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Ban children from the zoooooo!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8264266.stm

I for one never suffered any issues from going to the zoo at a young age, surely if something is wrong with the farm, the kids will get ill even if they are 7/8? Or is it something to do with a not fully developed immune system?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Animals are dirty, but I really see no reason to ban kids petting them. All you need to do is make sure the kids wash their hands afterwards. This is bad supervision of the kids, not some horrible infected farm which should be shut down.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    What a load of rubbish.
    Weekender Offender 
    i thought the idea was that exposure to animals in childhood helps train the immune system against the sort of microbes etc in the natural world..
    First, we need a £60 CRB to chauffeur kids. Now they're calling for a ban of minors from zoos. Next, it will be illegal for kids to ride roller coasters in case they get vertigo. Then the gov't will force government-approved meals onto kids in case they get food poisoning. Then the gov't will tax parents £10k for each kid they have. Then the gov't will make it illegal for anyone to have kids. Then humans will become extict apart from the elitist government who have built themselves a space station.

I know I've been watching too much James Bond :-)

But still, the flavour of my post here simply expresses my dismay towards the whole H & S and kids paranoia.
    Monserrat wrote: »
    But still, the flavour of my post here simply expresses my dismay towards the whole H & S and kids paranoia.

The public have only themselves to blame though. It's "who can we sue" whenever anything goes wrong.

No doubt the parents of the kids infected with e-coli will start trying to sue whoever they can.
    Whowhere, that's so true. It used to be "...only in America!", but now the compensation culture has reared its ugly head on this side of the pond too.
    I hate all this, like whenever i do longboarding and stuff, i know i should wear safety helmets and pads, but it really really puts me off! So i have to sign - and get my parents to sign loads of disclaimers, so i can't sue them! It's crazy, i wouldn't even sue them because surely in court it would be my bloody fault for not wearing the safety stuff.

Ahh but someone organising an event has a duty of care to entrants.
    It mentions in there about children under five haven't learnt to wash their hands yet, but surely that would be an ideal opportunity for their parents to teach them the importance of this? And supervise them whilst doing so...

:) Good idea.
    Skive wrote: »
    What a load of rubbish.

Exactly.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Kids aint going to the zoo zoo zoo
    In case they touch poo poo poo

Fuckign stupid if you ask me. There no perspective about this. Alright, gets getting seriously ill is not nice, but getting ecoli is hardly a common thing.

I know it's natural to be protective of children but theres got to be a balance somewhere, a sheltered childhood isn't a childhood for fucksake.

If the nonses don't get them it seems the the germs will.
    Weekender Offender 
    BAN THIS FILTH!

* In case you didn't notice, yes, I am being sarcastic.
    tbh, i blame parent's excessive use of anti-bacterial agents at home...they don't allow kids to build up a natural immunity to bugs
    I am all for this ban but not for the reason they put in the report.
    I friggin hate kids at zoo's going LOOK AT THE ZEBRAAAAA MUUUUUUUUUUUUUUM!!!!!!! and I wish I could punch them in the back of the head :(
    Daddy's taking us to the zoo tomorrow,
    Zoo tomorrow,
    Zoo tomorrow.
    Daddy's taking us to the zoo tomorrow, we'll get E.Coli.

There's gonna be poo, poo, poo.
    And vomiting too, too, too.
    Mum says she'll sue, sue, sue.
    We're going to the zoo, zoo, zoo.
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Daddy's taking us to the zoo tomorrow,
    Zoo tomorrow,
    Zoo tomorrow.
    Daddy's taking us to the zoo tomorrow, we'll get E.Coli.

There's gonna be poo, poo, poo.
    And vomiting too, too, too.
    Mum says she'll sue, sue, sue.
    We're going to the zoo, zoo, zoo.

haha love it!

I'm not that keen on the zoo. but this is a silly reason not to let kids go!
    Petting farm? That's ridiculous..the kids on real farms manage, if parents gave the kids more germs and less antibacterial stuff it'd be ok. Three people (or something similar) have gotten ill, and they're thinking on banning petting zoos?! I managed, and so did practically everyone else, so can't today little princesses fucking manage? No?
    I hate all this, like whenever i do longboarding and stuff, i know i should wear safety helmets and pads, but it really really puts me off! So i have to sign - and get my parents to sign loads of disclaimers, so i can't sue them! It's crazy, i wouldn't even sue them because surely in court it would be my bloody fault for not wearing the safety stuff.

Except of course that disclaimers have absolutely no legal basis what so ever.