Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Breaking the law as a youth

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
We've all done it- bad things as a teenager, whether immoral or against the law. I know of friends who have been caught by coppers, spent time in police cells etc. Being a youth its tempting to challenge the system, do vandalism, street drugs and shoplifting with school friends etc

Pretty sure we've all got stories of brushes with the law as teenagers, however compliant with society's standards as adults

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My schoolfriends and I once went into an abandoned house for adventure during lunchtime from lessons. The police were waiting and two of our group were arrested- the rest of us ran. One of my mates said he was 'Andy Pandy' when the copper wanted his name- got his arm twisted for it. Then the other boy told us back in school he was crying at the police station during the wait for his parents to turn up

Juvenile life experience :yes:
    KiwiFruit wrote: »
    My schoolfriends and I once went into an abandoned house for adventure during lunchtime from lessons. The police were waiting and two of our group were arrested- the rest of us ran. One of my mates said he was 'Andy Pandy' when the copper wanted his name- got his arm twisted for it. Then the other boy told us back in school he was crying at the police station during the wait for his parents to turn up

Juvenile life experience :yes:

So your mate tried to get me into trouble then eh?
    haha
    I got into a bit of trouble when I was younger but never from shoplifting or drugs. Just stupid little things which some sad old woman kept calling the cops on us for. I don't know how many times I've been in a group of friends and we've had to run from the police.
    Ah the good old days.
    x Andy
    Andy Pandy wrote: »
    So your mate tried to get me into trouble then eh?
    haha
    I got into a bit of trouble when I was younger but never from shoplifting or drugs. Just stupid little things which some sad old woman kept calling the cops on us for. I don't know how many times I've been in a group of friends and we've had to run from the police.
    Ah the good old days.
    x Andy

Wait for the bobby knocking on your door Andy :)

We were involved in groups hanging about doing petty things. A few groups of teenagers can be very nasty and lawless. Don't mix with the wrong crowd -end up committed to borstal for serious offences
    Wait for the bobby knocking on your door Andy :)

We were involved in groups hanging about doing petty things. A few groups of teenagers can be very nasty and lawless. Don't mix with the wrong crowd -end up committed to borstal for serious offences

Yeah I'm gonna flinch everytime there's a knock at the door now. :nervous:
    But yeah one mate of mine is now in prison. Luckily we went our seperate ways before I got into anything too big.
    Have to say I'm almost squeaky clean nowadays. Apart from the odd bar fight now and again lol
    x Andy
    I never did or got involved in anything badly serious.

As for the other stuff, I just never got caught.
    MrG wrote: »
    As for the other stuff, I just never got caught.
    You mean you was quick on your feet :)
    Yeah I'm gonna flinch everytime there's a knock at the door now. :nervous:
    But yeah one mate of mine is now in prison. Luckily we went our seperate ways before I got into anything too big.
    Have to say I'm almost squeaky clean nowadays. Apart from the odd bar fight now and again lol
    x Andy
    I like the 'almost' bit
    You mean you was quick on your feet :)

While I dont get involved with anything even remotely dodgy these days, I still am quick on my feet.
    I broke into an abandoned house with my brother at about the age of 11 or 12, thinking back I'm still not quite sure why he took me along.
    I like the 'almost' bit

Haha yeah well boys will be boys.
    But nothing too bad now. Haven't spoken to a policeman in a long time. Only for giving statements on other incidents.
    x Andy
    The nearest I got to breaking the law as a kid: A relative (aged 6) picked up a payphone and he pretended that he was talking to someone. I (aged 12) sneakily dialled 999 while he wasn't looking, so that the next thing he knew, he was talking gibberish to a 999 operator! I of course got told off by my parents and was told that I could have gone into jail for doing that.

I deliberately broke somebody's lunchbox in primary school but I never did any of the common shoplifting, vandalism or underaged drinking.

As an adult, I illegally downloaded music off Napster in 1999 and 2000 but otherwise, I have paid for all all of my music, videos and software since I started in 1994.
    Monserrat wrote: »
    The nearest I got to breaking the law as a kid: A relative (aged 6) picked up a payphone and he pretended that he was talking to someone. I (aged 12) sneakily dialled 999 while he wasn't looking, so that the next thing he knew, he was talking gibberish to a 999 operator! I of course got told off by my parents and was told that I could have gone into jail for doing that.

I deliberately broke somebody's lunchbox in primary school but I never did any of the common shoplifting, vandalism or underaged drinking.

As an adult, I illegally downloaded music off Napster in 1999 and 2000 but otherwise, I have paid for all all of my music, videos and software since I started in 1994.

Defo petty offences- armed police aren't going to smash your front door down.........sleep sound
    Haha yeah well boys will be boys.
    But nothing too bad now. Haven't spoken to a policeman in a long time. Only for giving statements on other incidents.
    x Andy
    And asking a bobby for directions- he's paid to give you that advice- not just to handcuff people
    MrG wrote: »
    While I dont get involved with anything even remotely dodgy these days, I still am quick on my feet.

Yeah, running to your car when a traffic warden is stalking it. The adult things like sparing yourself from a parking ticket through the post, rather than running from irate bobbies who spotted you during the good old days
    budda wrote: »
    I broke into an abandoned house with my brother at about the age of 11 or 12, thinking back I'm still not quite sure why he took me along.
    Did you feel scared or excitement on breaking in?
    Monserrat wrote: »
    Wasn't for my parents I would have gone to jail too!
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Specific things that I wasn't caught I obviously can't talk about which is a shame because I have some seriously funny stories.

As nippers we started off by terrorizing golfers by knicking their ball after they teed off, or building road blocks on the country lanes with big fuck off logs and then hiding in the bushes to see the reaction. Proper little shits.
    Then as we got older we got into robbing stuff which is something I seriously regret.

Been arrested for attempted theft of a motor vehicle, shoplifting, posession of drugs, criminal damage, breach of the peace, D&D all before I was 18. When was 17 I got a caution for posession of a class A drug after being nicked going into Cremafields. When I was 20 I was convicted of violent dissorder in the Crown Court and almost went to jail, got off with a load of community service. I started to calm down after that.

However when I was 23 and working away with my mate in Plymouth we got arrested for criminal damage. Both of us got so pissed he decided to climb up the outside of the flume of the local water park - the Pavillion - and it broke causing a total of £38,000 damage and lost revenue when it was forced to close. And I set of a fire Extinguisher the same night in our hotel. We we both arrested in the hotel covered in foam. I got caution, and he had to pay back 10 grand in damages.
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote: »
    However when I was 23 and working away with my mate in Plymouth we got arrested for criminal damage. Both of us got so pissed he decided to climb up the outside of the flume of the local water park - the Pavillion - and it broke causing a total of £38,000 damage and lost revenue when it was forced to close.

:eek2: I think any damage i did as a kid pales in comparison to that one.

Was on the fringe of a local yobbo bunch who used to vandalise, gob off, break into things etc. Got done at 15 for aiding and albeiting a shoplifter and got a year long conditional discharge. Not something i'll ever be proud of but as far as i'm concerned it's long forgotten. It helped me as it gave me the biggest guilt kick ever for putting my parents through the shit and it made up my mind for me that i wasn't into that shit really and was just playing follow the leader. Have never stolen or vandalised anything since.
    When I was 13 I got arrested for sending a death threat. Nothing came of it though.
    Specific things that I wasn't caught I obviously can't talk about which is a shame because I have some seriously funny stories.

As nippers we started off by terrorizing golfers by knicking their ball after they teed off, or building road blocks on the country lanes with big fuck off logs and then hiding in the bushes to see the reaction. Proper little shits.
    Then as we got older we got into robbing stuff which is something I seriously regret.

Been arrested for attempted theft of a motor vehicle, shoplifting, posession of drugs, criminal damage, breach of the peace, D&D all before I was 18. When was 17 I got a caution for posession of a class A drug after being nicked going into Cremafields. When I was 20 I was convicted of violent dissorder in the Crown Court and almost went to jail, got off with a load of community service. I started to calm down after that.

However when I was 23 and working away with my mate in Plymouth we got arrested for criminal damage. Both of us got so pissed he decided to climb up the outside of the flume of the local water park - the Pavillion - and it broke causing a total of £38,000 damage and lost revenue when it was forced to close. And I set of a fire Extinguisher the same night in our hotel. We we both arrested in the hotel covered in foam. I got caution, and he had to pay back 10 grand in damages.

We all look back and see we did bad things whilst young- you're not alone
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    When I was 13 I got arrested for sending a death threat. Nothing came of it though.
    Hate mail?

That sounds like something Ive seen on TV before :)
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    All I can think of is when I broke into a school locker with a friend's help. But it was my own locker and (although I didn't know that at the time) they were getting the doors replaced a few days later.
    All I can think of is when I broke into a school locker with a friend's help. But it was my own locker and (although I didn't know that at the time) they were getting the doors replaced a few days later.
    Wasn't exactly breaking the law
    I've never done anything, just been with people. Our 'gang' got moved on a lot when thinking back..we weren't even causing any trouble.

My friend was drunk once and decided to throw a cone through a shop window thinking it would bounce off but it went through so we had to run. Police sirens.. it was scary! We ran to the top of a hill and watched the police cars driving r ound and stared at clouds. It was a really memorable night actually.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Wasn't exactly breaking the law
    Well, I doubt destroying school property is legal :p But yeah, thankfully it's not as bad as other things.
    I've never done anything, just been with people. Our 'gang' got moved on a lot when thinking back..we weren't even causing any trouble.

My friend was drunk once and decided to throw a cone through a shop window thinking it would bounce off but it went through so we had to run. Police sirens.. it was scary! We ran to the top of a hill and watched the police cars driving r ound and stared at clouds. It was a really memorable night actually.

What do you mean 'never done anything' and then describe how your gang was involved in a broken window. :confused:
    What do you mean 'never done anything' and then describe how your gang was involved in a broken window. :confused:

He means he's been a "hanger on". Whilst other people have been causing problems, he's been on the sidelines observing......
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Whowhere wrote: »
    He means he's been a "hanger on". Whilst other people have been causing problems, he's been on the sidelines observing......

Come on then what laws have you broken. :D
    Weekender Offender 
    I never got caught doing anything illegal, my boyfriend however was a very naughty boy so i feel i've been extra bad by association lol.