Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What do you think has happened to Maddie McCann?

13»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Jim V wrote: »
    Well it does take us more than a few minutes to keep an eye on threads - especially if people don't use the report post button.

Reality is that debate requires people to accept that other people have differing views to their own and be willing to understand that disagreement isn't the same thing as agression.

To be honest though, dragging something from a different thread to close down someone's opinion on a different issue doesn't really make anyone look good. But then nor does reacting agressively when people disagree - so hey, no gold stars for anyone today.

Anyhoo - I think the fundamental issues are pretty valid and as the user in question for the specifics has left the forum I'm going to cut out a few of previous replies and then we can move on and see if this can get back on track.

Sorry Jim

I would have probably left it, but i got really offened with a few of the comments that hit quite close to home. But yeah still no excuse. :blush: Anyway tiz over now.
    I do agree with them being taken away from standard civilization- but I don't think prison rooms should be as harsh as they are, and I think there should be different prisons for each crime. Like child abuses in one, domestic violence in another ect.
    C-A x

What is harsh about a cell? It has a bed, a window, a toilet, sometimes a television, why should they have more? The whole point in prison is that it isn't a nice place, it's meant to act as a DETERRENT, if it was all fun and games then some people wouldn't be put off from committing crimes.
    Although this is veering wildly away from the point, I just wanted to stick my nose in and say that the majority of UK prisons are not harsh in the slightest.

In fact, I know a prison officer and a probation office, and they have both told me that quite often the inmates come from such violent and broken homes that on their release they will almost immediately go out and commit a crime again (and allow themselves to be caught) to buy themselves a one way ticket back to the safety and routine it affords them.

And as for Maddie McCann? I'd be VERY surprised if she was still alive. And I'm also not surprised that the parents scream guilty. Even if they had nothing to do with it, they must be feeling pretty damn stupid about leaving their tiny, tiny children alone for that long.
    Olive wrote: »

And as for Maddie McCann? I'd be VERY surprised if she was still alive. And I'm also not surprised that the parents scream guilty. Even if they had nothing to do with it, they must be feeling pretty damn stupid about leaving their tiny, tiny children alone for that long.

I feel bad but there is something about the dad I don't like.
    I feel bad but there is something about the dad I don't like.

Yeah I agree he is a little weird.
    Must be the Scottish accent or something :chin:
    Haha jokes
    x Andy
    I have to agree slightly on the issue of people that commit serious crimes being mentally ill... they may not suffer from say, schizophrenia, but i reckon there are quite a lot of people with various personality disorders?
    Oh I agree but I dint think that is enough punishment for them. Especially when there are people out there that have the same problems and haven't committed any crimes.
    True- it comes back to the classic 'nature/nurture' debate. I wholeheartedly agree that people who commit such crimes should be locked up- but i am interested in the work of the new unit that has opened in Broadmoor, to treat 'Dangerous severe personality disorders (DSPD) an if any of it will be effective.
    I'm just not sure if I believe in the Good/Evil thing, it's so black and white.
    That sounds interesting. Might read up on that. :)

yeah the whole good/evil thing isn't something I totally agree on. There has to be a gradient, I would say and espicially involving mental health that nothing is that clear cut.
    That sounds interesting. Might read up on that. :)

yeah the whole good/evil thing isn't something I totally agree on. There has to be a gradient, I would say and espicially involving mental health that nothing is that clear cut.

Yeah I had a really good point to add onto the end of that but I have totally forgotten what it was.
    Yep it's completely gone.
    DAMN IT! I hate it when that happens :mad:
    Never mind x Andy
    You would if it was your child.

Of course I would but it's not mine or anyone I know's child so I don't give a flying fuck.