Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

London overground trains

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
It looks as though I may have to get an overground train to uni when I start in 2 weeks time. My question is:
Due to being partially sighted and not being fully awake for around 70% of the time, I struggle a lot with transport. On the buses and tube, there's announcements. Are there announcements on the overground trains, too?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Not on the old ones, but new ones are coming into service wit audio and visual announcements. about 3 units in service at the moment, so its pot luck i am afraid.

I am not a train geek like JsT, I just work for them :D
    I got on one of the new ones the other day. Very nice it was too :D. Announcements weren't very clear though. I think it may have to be a case of counting your stops tbh.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Calvin wrote: »
    Not on the old ones, but new ones are coming into service wit audio and visual announcements. about 3 units in service at the moment, so its pot luck i am afraid.

I am not a train geek like JsT, I just work for them :D

Spot on Calvin! The old trains don't have any announcements but the new ones do and they are progressively coming more onboard, so within around 6 months they should all have announcements etc. Its definately clear which one your on when they turn up. In the mean time it may be best to count the stops etc.
    Calvin wrote: »
    I just work for them :D

Can i come round and 'mind your gap' ?

Oh. You know some trains don't stop at certain stations and just go thundering through. Is it true that if you stand by the edge you'll get sucked off ?
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Oh. You know some trains don't stop at certain stations and just go thundering through. Is it true that if you stand by the edge you'll get sucked off ?

sucked_off.jpg
    Ha ha JST i love that picture. :lol:

Rubberskin, your just filth. You're corrupting my mind. :p
    Haha yeah it's great!! Made my smile :-)

Isn't like 70 % of the underground above ground anyway??
    I was on a train in Holland and it was SUPPOSED to be going to Leiden, but went straight through (without announcing it) to Rotterdam!!!!

Back to the subject though.... Maybe ask the people around you on the train, find someone getting off when you do, and follow them off?
    C-A x
    A+ for the photo haha.

a picture explains a thousand words... including an exact phrase. "get sucked off"