Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Tourists no longer welcome in cannabis-selling coffee shops

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The Dutch government wants to maintain its tolerant policy towards cannabis and keep so-called coffee shops open, but they should no longer be tourist attractions, Dutch ministers wrote in a letter that was leaked to the press on Tuesday.
More here ...http://www.nrc.nl/international/article2354008.ece/Tourists_no_l

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    havent read the article yet, first thought was i'm gutted.
    Coffee chains such as Café Nero? What is the connection with cannabis? Something I've not heard of before.
    Places where cannabis is sold and smoked in Dutch towns such as Amsterdam are usually referred to as 'coffee shops' man.
    Monserrat wrote: »
    Coffee chains such as Café Nero? What is the connection with cannabis? Something I've not heard of before.

Are you for real?
    The Dutch government wants to maintain its tolerant policy towards cannabis and keep so-called coffee shops open, but they should no longer be tourist attractions, Dutch ministers wrote in a letter that was leaked to the press on Tuesday.
    More here ...http://www.nrc.nl/international/article2354008.ece/Tourists_no_l

Seems entirely reasonable, they should be boring not a tourist attraction.
    budda wrote: »
    Seems entirely reasonable, they should be boring not a tourist attraction.

Restuarabts and bars are ok as tourist attractions but not coffee shops ...mmm.
    Myself ...I think cannabis should be celebrated and set free.
    Restuarabts and bars are ok as tourist attractions but not coffee shops ...mmm.
    Myself ...I think cannabis should be celebrated and set free.

If we are going to have an adult relationship with intoxicants then travelling just so you can get really stonned isnt exactly my view of how we get there. I can totally understand why the Dutch dont want lots of people just going there to smoke lots.
    I understand it too ...having seen the stag nights hen nights dirty weekends first hand ...they ruin it.
    It's the same people who ruin weekends around England.
    Lock them up ...it's dead simple.
    it's a bummer they are doing that but I can see their point of view.
    I understand it too ...having seen the stag nights hen nights dirty weekends first hand ...they ruin it.
    It's the same people who ruin weekends around England.
    Lock them up ...it's dead simple.

Heavy stonners are far less of a problem than heavy drinkers.
    budda wrote: »
    Heavy stonners are far less of a problem than heavy drinkers.
    Yup but in my experience it's those going for the stag weekends etc who seem to cause the problems around the coffee shops ...along with the football supporter mentality lot.
    Whenever I've been there there are Americans Germans Russians English etc etc ....that enjoy being a cannabis tourist and the shops welcome their pressence and their money ...and it is almost all trouble free.
    The biggest problem I see there out of all the people ...are English yobs.
    Little inteligence no awarness no manners not a fucking clue how to behave at home let alone in someone elses country.
    Calvin wrote: »
    Are you for real?

Dude, I've not done any drugs so how am I supposed to know? I didn't know that there was a connection between coffee houses and weed.
    Monserrat wrote: »
    Dude, I've not done any drugs so how am I supposed to know? I didn't know that there was a connection between coffee houses and weed.

only in amsterdam, not over here :) i think you may just have heard about it on the news if starbucks and cafe nero in your local town were serving cappacinos with a spliff on the side :p
    Uh they're not banning tourists from coffee shops, they're trialling it in one or two towns, but they've been doing this for 5-6 years now and they have not come any closer to making it illegal for tourists to buy Cannabis.
    Good job I already been then isnt it XD