Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What do you think has happened to Maddie McCann?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
At college today, we were having a debate on what everyone thinks happened to Maddie McCann, some thinks she's dead, whilst others think that shes still alive and could have been kidnapped, i just wondered, what are your views?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think maybe she's dead, they made such a song and dance about her that anyone who saw her would recognise her, and so she got killed. It's sad, and I hope I'm wrong.

Gx
    I reckon she is dead, even her name spells I'm dead. As to who killed her, whether it's her parents or someone else I'm not entirely sure. Either way it's very sad and something that should never have happened.
    dead. i think the criminal organisation behind the kidnapping would have worked out the risk of keeping her vs the potential profit to be had and i guess decided that the risk was too great, killed her and hidden the body in a backwater of central europe. i think if a body is hidden by an criminal organisation, and the authorities don't even know what country it is in, it will never be found again. i imagine the high profile nature of the case would have caused anxiety a long way up the ranks of the supposed criminal organisation and i think that anyone who had first hand experience in the thing would be dead also.
    Personally, i think whoever it was who took her, had been watching the family for sometime, because its funny how they only took her and not her younger brother and sister, and aparantly she was sleeping in the middle too.
    Shes most likely dead but could also just be kept hidden away. Recently theres been reports of kids, couple of grown ups now, being found alive and well after being missing for 20 odd years. Their captors have either scared them into silence, or gained their trust so they think its the normal way. Sad either way, i dont think shes ever going to found.
    I think the most probable outcome in a case like this is that she was taken by an individual and that she is now dead. However, as Lexi99 mentions, there always remains hope that she isn't dead as a number of extremely distressing cases have shown recently. But that's highly unusual.

However I think the idea of organised crime being involved is extremely unlikely - brutal as it is to face there's no lack of much easier and less high-profile ways for a criminal organisation to be involved in child prostitution and trafficking
    I said it when it happened and nothing since has made my change my mind. I think it was the parents.

The oh-so-well orchestrated media / PR circus made my spidey sense tingle. They looked guilty as hell in my eyes.
    Perhaps it was, whatever happened though chances are she is dead.

However her parents are must be good actors, if she did die by their hand and they both managed to sit through a dinner with friends without once hinting at what they had done then they should be given an oscar for that performance.
    Whowhere wrote: »
    However her parents are must be good actors, if she did die by their hand and they both managed to sit through a dinner with friends without once hinting at what they had done then they should be given an oscar for that performance.

I agree.

I read a good article a while back on what the parents would have had to accomplish to murder, store and then hide their child's body and it would have been virtually impossible for them to have got away with it.

If there was slick PR around the family, it was because of their status and money, going hand-in-hand with the publicity.

I have no concerns that the parents in any way harmed their child.
    i reckon shes in one of those back garden or soundproof flat things like a josef fritzel/phillip garrido thing.
    To be honest, and I know this sounds horrible- but I Maddie McCan doesn't mean anything to me really. Of course, I have sympathy for her family and her, but so many children go missing/get taken each and every day. A lot will die, commit suicide, or just never be seen again- Unfortuanatly, Maddie is just another one of those children.

I feel for any body who is taken or whatever, but I feel no more for her than any other child.

I do, however, feel just as sorry for the person who has taken, and possibly, killed her. I KNOW THAT'S WEIRD. But, they obviously need serious help, and are clearly are not capable of living normally. I dread to think how this person lives their life, but they should be in therapy. You can't be right in the head to take a 3/4 year old girl.

C-A x
    I think shes dead, but i slightly disagree too because wouldnt they of found the body?
    I think shes dead, but i slightly disagree too because wouldnt they of found the body?

Not neccarserally.... It's fairly easy to burn a body beyond recognition and then throw it in a river... and she could be anywhere in the world too.

C-A x
    Unfortunately I believe her to be dead. But I hope that she is safe and well.
    The person who does stuff like that does not need therapy, they need imprisonment. Locked away and throw away they key.
    Somebody who does something like that must be unbelievably desperate. But no matter what the situation, it gives no excuse to take a child from his/hers parents. Nobody should have to lose a child.
    However, there is no evidence to say it wasn't the parents. They're just as guilty as anybody until they find out what really happened.
    x Andy
    Well, here's hoping to hold onto some of the principals that are the foundation of any fair legal system - I'd hope the parents are considered as innocent as anybody else until there's evidence and prosecution to suggest anything else
    Andy Pandy wrote: »
    Unfortunately I believe her to be dead. But I hope that she is safe and well.
    The person who does stuff like that does not need therapy, they need imprisonment. Locked away and throw away they key.
    Somebody who does something like that must be unbelievably desperate. But no matter what the situation, it gives no excuse to take a child from his/hers parents. Nobody should have to lose a child.
    However, there is no evidence to say it wasn't the parents. They're just as guilty as anybody until they find out what really happened.
    x Andy

What does locking someone up do? It takes away the symptons, but not the cause. People need help it is a human right to be safe. No other people can be safe from this kid-napper until they are safe from themselves. Any person who commits a crime needs help- Yes, they should be taken from the normal world until this help is give and the issues are dealt with... But whether that means prison or not I'll leave you to decide.
    C-A x
    You dont believe in punishing people who do dispicable things then?
    People need help it is a human right to be safe.

sorry but after your last thread...lol
    I don't want to be a thread-pooper, but isn't discussing the whereabouts of Madeline McCann just morbid speculation? Unless we're going to start dissecting police reports and the like, then I'm not really sure what's to be gained from a discussion about her.

Crying-angel's allusion to the nature and purpose of the punishments metered out by criminal justice system seems like a more interesting topic. In fact, maybe I'll start one... :D
    I don't want to be a thread-pooper, but isn't discussing the whereabouts of Madeline McCann just morbid speculation? Unless we're going to start dissecting police reports and the like, then I'm not really sure what's to be gained from a discussion about her.

Crying-angel's allusion to the nature and purpose of the punishments metered out by criminal justice system seems like a more interesting topic. In fact, maybe I'll start one... :D
    OOOHHH yea :-)

And, I think that the mental health issues that come with crime is enough of a punishment- but, if somebody can't live in a normal society, then (as a last resort) they should be placed under strict supervision or in a secure place.
    C-A x
    what if they really enjoy taking and abusing children.
    It may be a mental health issue as well as a crime, but that doesnt make it a punishment in itself.
    I think its very naive to think that people will just feel bad about the crimes they commit and that would be a deterrant or punishment in itself
    Surely if mental health was seen as a punishment in it's self, you would have everyone claiming to have some kind of mental health problem.

And people that want the help can get the help. But its not always the case. someone that comits a crime and wants to do it again will.
    Don't know, don't care.
    The way to stop people like that from hurting other people, and prevent them from hurting themselves is by locking them up.
    That way they are no danger to anybody else, and if they want to hurt themselves, then they have to get the tools to do so.
    Once they are locked up, that's when they can get the help if they really want and/or need it. That way everybody is safe from them being unstable.
    Removing them from society completely is what is needed. Only after they have had treatment or whatever is required, should they be allowed near anybody else let alone out on the street.
    x Andy
    OOOHHH yea :-)

And, I think that the mental health issues that come with crime is enough of a punishment- but, if somebody can't live in a normal society, then (as a last resort) they should be placed under strict supervision or in a secure place.
    C-A x

Seriously!!! After your last thread, lmao.

PEOPLE enjoy this stuff, doing what they do to maddie or whatever, al ot of them you cannot help, imo child kidnappers/pedophiles cannot be cured, for you to think they can be is very naive in my opinion. Pedophiles need to be taken out of society permanently, but that’s just my opinion.
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Don't know, don't care.

You would if it was your child.

:yes: Exactly. Crying angel, after your last post...lol. If a person commits a crime, they should be locked up, especially if its kidnapping and killing a child, or being a peadophile, if they have mental health issues, i dont think they deserve any extra sympathy, what they did, they did, and that is wrong, very wrong. Other people may think different, but that is my opinion on what you said.
    Of course. So what is the excuse of the tens of millions of people who aren't Maddie's parents? ;)
    Abused and murdered long ago.

Though I do hope she is alive, well, and completely unharmed, having been taken to fulfil the selfish needs of a childless couple. I also hope she is found, and that her parents are harshly prosecuted for what can only be described as unbelieveable negligence and poor conduct, and a complete failure of parental responsibilities.
    her parents are harshly prosecuted for what can only be described as unbelieveable negligence and poor conduct, and a complete failure of parental responsibilities.

I remember in the thread(s) about this when it first happened. Of course, it's not going to happen. 2 white, middle class doctors on holiday leaving their kids on their own aren't going to be prosecuted. If it were single mum who nipped over the shop for more White Lightning she'd probably still be in prison. :rolleyes:

My own opinion (and this is MY opinion, not TheSite's) She was dead before the alarm was raised that she went missing and we don't have far to look.