Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What makes a good tutor

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Like I'm having trouble in history so I am going to go to a tutor to help me kind of tutor... as I learned there are multiple kinds to you folk ;)

Anywho, I have to tutor and I've never done anything like that and am all confused but they thought they would throw me in the deep end.

So I thought I would get some pointers. If you have been tutored (preferably when you the ages of 14-18 in and more specifically in history) what did you find helpful, unhelpful, like, dislike... anything at all that could help me not suck at this.

Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Go to a tutor with questions. Base your questions on what you have read and how you want to use that reading to address any set or hypothetical question that you are studying towards.
    I'm absoutly confused at what you said, sorry :(

I'm going to be the tutor, not me going to a tutor.

I don't even know what tutoring entails! Ah well. I've got my first time on Friday, time will tell what happens :p
    Okay, so you're going to be helping someone else with their history studies as a tutor?

Like anything where your supporting someone's learning the first thing to do is probably to get a good understanding of the specific issues of the person you are going to help.

Maybe start by helping them go through the basic course outline and look at areas they are particularly interested in and on the flipside are finding the most difficult. Then you can try find new ways to use either their enthusiasm around the best parts, or come up with suggestions for dealing with the most difficult.

In my experience the best tutors are those available to talk to at length and in detail about issues that a teacher may not of had time to specifically focus on with a student - so as katralla says you need to use their questions and issues as the guide for what to focus on.

You should be there, in principal, to be the additional resource that is currently lacking, to build on and reinforce the learning in class and to encourage and build the confidence of the person you're working with.

Leastways, that's my take anyway :)
    Thank you very much :) It was quite an experience!