Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

using a mobile in Northern Ireland

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I've never been to Northern Ireland but going soon - will UK mobiles work as per normal there without any kind of roaming fee's? or could there be any possible problems?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Three mobiles at least work as normal in Northern Ireland.
  • Options
    no you won't get roaming charges- not unless you are near the border and pick up a signal from a rep of ireland phone mast. NI is part of the UK so everything is just the same!
  • Options
    It's weird how many people don't know that Northern Ireland is part of the UK.
  • Options
    Just returned from N.I, no extra charges, roaming etc.. and as said, it's part of the UK !
  • Options
    Apologies for the lateness of this reply.

I've been over in Northern Ireland for the past fortnight and I didn't have too much of a problem with this. If you're staying in an area such as Belfast, you're unlikely to have any problems. Whilst at Belfast International Airport on Sunday, my phone was showing Vodafone UK as the network. However, when I was staying at the missus's place, it did occasionally come up with Vodafone IE. (and less often, IRL Meteor - another Republic of Ireland network) I'm not going to state the exact location of where I was, but I will state that I was a few minutes away from the border. Depending on the settings on your phone, it might automatically change over to the network that has the strongest signal. This can be easily rectified if it's a problem.

Having said all this, I live over in North Wales (at least I do for another few weeks, anyway) and we do often pick up all kinds of signals from the Republic of Ireland. Mobile phone signals, radio stations, television stations such as RTE One and Two... the list goes on.