Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

any replys to this would be great

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
my boyfriend is being charged with the lesser charge of kidnap which is holding someone against their will although the lad who gave a statement has withdrawn it but the police are still going ahead with it he was also going to be charged with gbh but they have dropped that charge and he is at court in a few wks his solicitor has told him that if he is found guilty he could get 3 months at the worst he also has got previous but that was along time ago and was for nothing like this i was just wondering if anyone has any idea if they think he is likely to go to jail for this any feed back on this would be great

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    well. I was sexually abused and he's not going to jail sooo I doubt it! I think he'll probably get off with a caution if there is no evidence. Ask a police officer involved in the case, they can tell you more.
    C-A x
    well. I was sexually abused and he's not going to jail sooo I doubt it! I think he'll probably get off with a caution if there is no evidence. Ask a police officer involved in the case, they can tell you more.
    C-A x
    thats the thing they have not got evidence which is why i cant understand how the police are still going ahead with it all and i am so sorry to hear what you have been thru x
    ... Well, in a court there is no way they would convict some one with out proper evidence... and you can't go to prison with out a trail.
    C-A x
    If your solicitor is telling you the maximum your boyfriend could get for kidnap is 3 months then you need to find a new solicitor because he either doesn't know what he's talking about, or he's only telling you what you want to hear.

There is no such thing as a "lesser charge of kidnap", kidnap is treated as an extremely serious offence, and once the police have got a statement they won't drop the case just because the victim won't play ball anymore, because as experience shows the victim is often too scared.

Sentencing guidelines state that for a kidnap involving locking a friend/relative in a room without any prior planning the offender will be sentenced to 18 months.
    Any prior planning and/or the use of force/extortion and you're looking at 8 years. The maximum sentence is life.

If the case is going ahead it's because the CPS have decided there is enough evidence, not the police.
    We cant really comment about how likely he will go to jail unless we knew all the evidence, though if he gets found guilty, he likely will.