Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Football Kid transfers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Right well thought i'd get some opinions on this and what better place than thesite :-)

This is close to home for me as I'm a Leeds fan and with Leeds plying there trade in the lowly place of League 1, over the last couple of years the "big" clubs have come to Leeds academy and stole a lot of our up and coming youth players, the players have been dazzled by the bright lights of the premiership but now have dis-appeared into obscurity.

This isn't a discussion about Leeds but your opinions on what should be done about this? If anything.
I'm sure it affects all clubs in the lower leagues with a decent academy.

Its come to a head this week as Leeds have lost a young England international to Everton with the compensation set a 600k but could reach 1.5million if the move is a success.

Uncle Kens asking for points sanctions instead of compensation etc. but I doubt that would ever happen... although would be a bigger detterant for the top clubs.

In a normal transfer you have 3 willing partys... the buying club wants to buy, the selling club wants to sell and the player wants the move. With the kids it seems the selling club have no choice in the matter, if they want to keep the player they've raised and nurtured from a very young ages, its basically tough shit.

I think something needs to be done about it, and maybe stop any transfers from academy's before a certain age. Possibly once a kid reaches 16, the club he is at gets first approval to sign him to a professional contract, if they decide to take that offer they now have him as there player and any future transfer is done normally! If they refuse to sign him up then he can go anywhere for nothing, just like if a pro players contract runs out.
If say the club is like Leeds in league 1 and the 16yr old has the potential to be playing in the premiership, then Leeds could sign the kid on a 1 year contract then sell him on as normal (not many lower league clubs stand in the way of players going to play at a higher level) but this would ensure Leeds get a proper transfer fee for the lad they've raised!

Anyone else any thoughts on this matter? I'm sure my idea will be flawed to a certain extent, but I believe something needs to be done about this situation.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    The biggest problem is the Tribunal system itself, that always seems to favour the buying club and not the selling club. If sensible compensation packages were imposed by the tribunal then we wouldn't have this problem.

It's always been a big problem though. Defoe was poached from Charlton, Barry was poached from Brighton and both clubs received a pittance in compensation.

It's a shame that clubs can't agree on things more. Take Fabian Delph, a Bradford lad and a City fan who started out with us. We couldn't give him the education he needed without an academy so he went to Leeds with our blessings, and we've just had a nice copuple of hundred grand wing its way to us now you've sold him. That's how it should work.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    It's a shame that clubs can't agree on things more. Take Fabian Delph, a Bradford lad and a City fan who started out with us. We couldn't give him the education he needed without an academy so he went to Leeds with our blessings, and we've just had a nice copuple of hundred grand wing its way to us now you've sold him. That's how it should work.

I agree that it should work that way.

Now that Chelsea have been banned from signing players for the new two transfer windows, I wonder how many more teams are going to accuse teams of doing the same thing?
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »

Now that Chelsea have been banned from signing players for the new two transfer windows, I wonder how many more teams are going to accuse teams of doing the same thing?
    :yes: