Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

HOPELESS with banking

Okay so i set up my bank account for my EMA and everything to go into it for when i start college, BUT!

Ive forgotten most my details, aka
My bank pin
My online banking ID
and my security number..

(I have terrible memory) and so how do i go about retrieving these codes?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Call the bank or better, go into a branch as it will be easier to prove your identity in person. Then keep them in a safe place or remember them!
    Call the bank or better, go into a branch as it will be easier to prove your identity in person. Then keep them in a safe place or remember them!

I did call them, was totally pointless, so im gonna go into the branch i think. few questions

1) When i first set it up they wanted ID from my mum too, so she got a bank statement, so ill have to do that again right?

2) will it cost to reset or get reminded of these codes?
    1. Why did they ask for your mum's ID? Is it a child's (or not a full) account? I assume you wouldn't need to take her ID again, unless it's some kind of joint account or she's has some kind of guardian role for it. Not sure about that.

2. Shouldn't cost you anything. You might get a telling off though ;)
    1. Why did they ask for your mum's ID? Is it a child's (or not a full) account? I assume you wouldn't need to take her ID again, unless it's some kind of joint account or she's has some kind of guardian role for it. Not sure about that.

2. Shouldn't cost you anything. You might get a telling off though ;)

nope its just a debit card, i did ask them they wanted a utility bill (i dont pay bills)
    so my mam thought she wouldnt need it, and she was wrong so we had to get a bank statement.
    Do you still have the debit card?

IF you go into the branch they should be able to arrange to have replacement details sent out to you.

You can definitely get a new PIN by asking for it to be reset, then your debit card should work.

As for your security number and your online banking ID, you'll probably only need those if you want to use online banking, so worth fixing long term, but less urgent.

Once you get the new PIN go to a cash point and change it to something you can remember. People often base them on words using the letters on the keypad, although top tip, your name is not a good idea.

As for the other reference numbers, write them down and keep them somewhere safe. I'd suggest writing them down together with that they are is probably not the greatest idea, but maybe stick a piece of paper to your wall or something and call one 'college reference number' and the other 'CD order reference' or something. That way yuo've got a record of them rather than having to try and remember everything but it's reasonably secure.

If you can get into the bank sometime other than Saturday morning that will help.
    Do you still have the debit card?

IF you go into the branch they should be able to arrange to have replacement details sent out to you.

You can definitely get a new PIN by asking for it to be reset, then your debit card should work.

As for your security number and your online banking ID, you'll probably only need those if you want to use online banking, so worth fixing long term, but less urgent.

Once you get the new PIN go to a cash point and change it to something you can remember. People often base them on words using the letters on the keypad, although top tip, your name is not a good idea.

As for the other reference numbers, write them down and keep them somewhere safe. I'd suggest writing them down together with that they are is probably not the greatest idea, but maybe stick a piece of paper to your wall or something and call one 'college reference number' and the other 'CD order reference' or something. That way yuo've got a record of them rather than having to try and remember everything but it's reasonably secure.

If you can get into the bank sometime other than Saturday morning that will help.

Yeah ive got the card and i remember the questions i think, is there options on cashpoints that lets u change?
    Yeah ive got the card and i remember the questions i think, is there options on cashpoints that lets u change?
    Yes but only if you go to a cashpoint from your bank.
    Yup, own bank cash point, and sometimes associated ones.

You'll need to get the PIN reset by the bank first though, the cash point won't ask you questions and then let you change it.