Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

help...i'm a shopaholic

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i love to shop online but i'm soon going to end up trying to spend money i dont have....any one got any tips on how i can avoid online shooping?? JB x

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i love to shop online but i'm soon going to end up trying to spend money i dont have....any one got any tips on how i can avoid online shooping?? JB x

Turn your computer off.
    Maybe set yourself a budget each month of how much you can afford to spend online, and only buy the things you *really* want or need for that month. Most of the time the other stuff will still be available next month, so hopefully that way you will be able to control your spending a bit better?

Also sometimes when I'm tempted to buy something online I tell myself to wait until I'm going to be in town or somewhere that has a branch of the particular shop, because often stuff that is online is also stocked in store and if you're going to be in town anyway then you'll end up saving on delivery charges etc., which can be quite hefty and disproportionate depending on where you're shopping online.
    Don't go on the sites where you buy stuff, get rid of credit cards to stop you spending money you don't have, spend more time doing stuff in the 'real world' so you're still having fun in other ways.
    If you haven't got the money then don't buy the stuff. I can't understand how some people don't grasp this simple concept. Don't go on shopping websites - like you wouldn't go into topshop if you haven't got any money

You could always try using this amazing tactic called SELF CONTROL
    Chop up your credit and debit cards and use cash everywhere.

It's a pain in the arse to get the money out at the bank, which will make you think about whether you really want the stuff. You can't use cash on internet shopping sites.

You have to remove the temptation by making yourself jump through hoops.
    One of my mums friend does this thing were she only spends £10 a day (not including food) It works well.
    C-A x
    soon going to end up trying to spend money i dont have

well before you run out re-evatulate and decide if you actually need the stuff - because if you dont you'll have to worry about debt....so i would reccomend what Kermit says and chop them up! gotta be done!!

although i think kangoo was pretty harsh - being a shopoholic is an addiction not just for fun?

But everyone has their own opinion....
    Block the sites on google, u can do that with parental controls :-)
    C-A x
    One of my mums friend does this thing were she only spends £10 a day (not including food) It works well.
    C-A x

That's still £3650 a year on shit.

A lot of money that is.
    £10 quid a day is a lot as Kermit says. Maybe do a budget and work out what you need to spend on necessities and see what you have left to spend on stuff you like.
    credit cards on ice :p
    kangoo wrote: »
    If you haven't got the money then don't buy the stuff. I can't understand how some people don't grasp this simple concept. Don't go on shopping websites - like you wouldn't go into topshop if you haven't got any money

You could always try using this amazing tactic called SELF CONTROL

It's not that simple though.
    Maybe set yourself a budget each month of how much you can afford to spend online, and only buy the things you *really* want or need for that month.

:yes:

Would a second bank account help at all? I mean, put money in one account for things that you need. (rent, food, bills, etc)
    Melian wrote: »
    It's not that simple though.

Explain to me how it's not that simple

You can't afford something, don't buy it
    Shopaholics don't have self control.
    Melian wrote: »
    Shopaholics don't have self control.

And either do any other addicts! You can't say that until you have been in one of those situations.
    I think the credit card chopping would maybe be a good idea but it's such a big step. If you keep the cards then you can deal with tempation and learn how to deal with it. However, this only works if the cards are actually yours. I have a feeling they're not. x Andy
    the card is mine! its just i went from never spendin money to realising when i was down i could go on the net and cheer myself up by buying stuff! but i've been under a bit of stress recently and the only way i could cheer up was to shop. I'm gettin better at not goin on the sites but its tempting when i dont feel happy. JB x
    the card is mine! its just i went from never spendin money to realising when i was down i could go on the net and cheer myself up by buying stuff! but i've been under a bit of stress recently and the only way i could cheer up was to shop. I'm gettin better at not goin on the sites but its tempting when i dont feel happy. JB x

OK sorry my mistake.
    Was just a judgement call. But I hope you do continue to feel better because forming an addiction to help cope can really make things worse.
    x Andy
    the only problem is if i dont stop it i'm going to run out of money and then i might have to find a new way to cope? JB x
    Treat the addiction like gambling. I am a member of the National Lottery website and I used to play those scratch cards, the 'online' versions. If the playing turns into an addiction, you can set controls on your lottery account to limit the number of games that you play per week. I initially had my limit as £8 per week but then as I never really walked away with any gain, I simply excluded myself from gameplay altogether. I still buy £2 in lottery tickets every week and I'm fine to commit myself to that.
    is there a way you can do that on shopping sites or would i just have to block the sites? JB x
    Jelly Baby, I'm not too sure I'm afraid, sorry.

Perhaps, try talking to your bank and see if they can set a monthly limit on your card so that once you've spent £XXX, the card automatically stops until next week / next month. That's the closest to the gambling site that I can think of. Good luck :-)
    thanks for the advice:) its much appreciated JB x
    kangoo wrote: »
    You can't afford something, don't buy it

If you don't like what brown does to you, don't use it.

Easy to say, hard to do.
    the only problem is if i dont stop it i'm going to run out of money and then i might have to find a new way to cope? JB x

You chop the cards up and then you're not tempted. Nothing else can work- you can unblock websites, or use a different computer, but you can't use cash to pay for an online transaction.

If you have other issues in your life that are making you feel depressed or anxious, you should consider talking to your GP about them. They may be able to provide counselling to help you deal with your shopping habits.
    i dont want to talk to my GP - she makes me feel bad about myself and that i shouldnt be feeling like I do....i dont think i need to seek counselling. But thats for your opinion! JB x
    As you've said you shop to make you happy have you tried an alternative? Dancing/exercise can make you feel better.
    i've tried exercise but i dont think i hav the motivation for it?? JB x
    Guess I was being a bit harsh, good luck with it x
    thanks but its ok you were just sayin what you thought, everyones opinion is important :) JB x
    thanks but its ok you were just sayin what you thought, everyones opinion is important :) JB x

Damn now I feel bad!

Seriously though, I may have been a bit blunt in saying it but what I said is true. Think carefully before you buy and you'll start to realise you don't need to buy as much as you think.

Instead of focusing on how you feel when you buy yourself stuff, focus on how you feel when you don't buy stuff - you can feel good that you haven't given in to temptation, enjoy not feeling guilty about spending, and enjoy the fact that you've saved a little bit of money which will gradually grow into more :)