Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

tarting up my flat on a budget of zilch

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i now have a small (very small) bedsit with no living space as such thats separate from where the bed is. its all open plan, and i'm having problems keeping it tidy because nothing here is functional! Plus i looks really boring and although i've got no money (atm - i may be able to spend £20 in a few weeks) if i can do something to make this place look nice then i think it would really cheer me up.

I have a L shaped desk around the corner fixed to the wall, and a wardrobe thats completely useless because its mainly big alcoves which means you have to take everything out to find anything! one side i'm using as an office space and the other as a dressing table but its not really working. I have a spare bed under the bed, and i've got craft stuff and general junk under the desk- tents, sleeping bags, rucksacs etc - but all stuff i often need. I also have a small dinner table - which belongs to the flat and thus i have to keep it there, but it is an eyesore!

I've got some new bed linen, and i have red velvet curtains and a red polka dot rug (which needs cleaning badly!). a red and black theme seems to work...but without buying much what can i do?? i have a mirror which looks pretty plain as well as lots of black material. i'm kinda thinking of a gothy/alterntive/50's kitch kinda look...but i need ideas!

(sorry for the long post i just thought that if i put all the info down i'd get a better responce)

thanks!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'd start with the things you have like the rug, the duvet cover and the curtains. It's easier if you give yourself a template to work with and see it in action then go from there. Invest in some plastic see-through storage boxes so you can see what you have in ther at a glance. Something I did in a really small room I had is get a moveable clothes rack.. like http://www.muskokapartyrentals.ca/images/Coat%20rack.jpg, it worked really well and I mostly put the clothes I loved to look at on there then put the rest into storage. It can be decorative as well as functional I guess.
    With the mirror, what about bluetacking photos or decorative pictures you like around it?
    or if you can find a cheap screen somewhere, that'd be good for sectioning off part of the screen and you can also hide stuff behind it.

flowers maybe, brighten the place up a bit.
    good housekeepin had a good article about that! :D x
    Or, just not bother. I've never understood the fascination with interior designing. As long as the curtains open up wide to let in lots of light, what else do you really need?