Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Mailing about 7,000 people

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I currently use Google Groups for a large mailinglist - but Google group is really basic and kinda of Rubbish - for instance people signup to the mailing list and then put they don't want to be emailed - so I have to manually alter their choice otherwise they'd never get the email they signed up for in the first place.

The one good thing about Google groups is that it's very fast and if you send out an email most people get it within a few minutes.

But I want more control over the list and to collect some basic information when people sign up like age, gender, etc.

Anyone got any good alternatives?

Comments

• Options
    Well the problem is, you'd be having issues legally if you are altering peoples choices to not receive the emails. You'd think why sign up if they just remove themselves, but you have to respect that. Are you looking for a free or paid service?

You can just get a small server and a mailing list script and set it up. But how often are the 7,000 emails sent? (Again you'd have issues with the mailing part because of possible spam/opt-outs.)
  • Options
    about 2 to 4 emails per person per month

At present people are free to opt out any time they want - but if they sign up to an email mailinglist and the first thing they've put down is don't send me any emails then they might as well be removed - it's not them choosing that option it's them not knowing what they heck they're doing in the first place ...

If I can see someone joined today and went to the trouble of signing up , then going back to their email addresses to click on a confirmation link and then chosen "don't send me any emails" then they've obviously made a mistake. If they signed up months ago and manually changed that then that's a different matter.. but no one is going to sign up today go through all that effort of confirming their email address and put don't send me zero emails on purpose are they?
  • Options
    Says who? I often used to browse the groups online, in years gone by... would it not make more sense to ask them to confirm that they don't wish to receive the emails if you detect that they have opted out of receiving mailings, rather than changing their preferences?