Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Needing to get fit - how?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I really want/need to get fit, but have no idea where to start. My main problems are that, I have balance problems, (I can stand and walk, but will sometimes fall over/forward if I'm not careful!) I'm partially sighted, have co-ordination problems and have problems with my neck and shoulder muscles which come & go. Currently, the muscle problems are okish, but don't want to do anything that'll aggravate the problems again.

Apart from swimming, is there anything else I can do, please?

Thanks.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Walk everywhere. Going into town? Save your money, walk instead of getting the bus. If it's too far, get off the bus one stop early. Little things can make a big difference.
    Gym?
    go and see your gp and get some advice from him/her as to the best things to do without putting yourself at risk in anyway :) but as franki said, a wee bit of walking everyday is always a good form of exercise and it clears your mind as well so two for the price of one :)
    Ask your GP what would be safe and the best thing for you to do. :)
    All I can think of is swimming sorry! Why not look up exercise programs online? I have a whole routine I do everyday, but it's quite hard to get into the habit, so walking is great- like others have said.
    C-A x
    All I can think of is swimming sorry!

This is the only thing I can think of too. I have started catching the bus (can't walk into town, as it's not safe at all due to visual issues) but getting off a few earlier stops - although a lot of that is because I need to do something where I get off.
    To be honest anything less than a brisk walk won't be much benefit unless you're super-unfit. To have a real fitness improvement you need to elevate your heart rate for a sustained period of time (at least 15 minutes) several times per week. Running or swimming are easy, but maybe not so much with your visual problems. Machines like a cross-trainer in the gym don't require much balance or coordination but will get your heart rate up easily.
    If you can go to a gym, you'll be able to cycle as well, as they'll be stable whether you have balance or not. Most areas have fairly cheap gyms if you look hard enough!
    Melian, I'm partially sighted too. What factor lens do you use? I use a -26, which you'll know pretty well that it's BAD! With my lens in, I can see clearly at 2M max (or 2cm max literally without lens lol), and I'm fine to go on gym machines. When you sign up to a gym, you will get a one-to-one with an instructor. He/she will show you some machines and will get you to go on them under his supervision. Do what feels comfortable for you Melian.
    My lens are something like -0.75 & -0.5. Whilst I'm not that short sighted, I can't see that much.