Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

fish or cat?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
OK so what do you think would be best a fish or a cat? I live in an apartment so a dogs out the question, it is big wenough for a cat though. I got told the other day that it was ok to keep a can indoors indefinatly, is this true? Although that seems pretty messed up and cruel to me.

So then i started thinkinng about a fish, all seems simple enough keeping the aqaurium clean, although fish just seema bit boring to me. How hard do you think it would be to trin them to jump through rings? :chin:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    its a completely different sort of pet. A fish wont be much company, but theyre less likely to shit on your pillow
    Fish. Then if you don't like it you can get a cat and it can eat the fish.
    Some cats are house cats, my mum has a persian who doesn't go outside except in the back garden, and that's only when he is let out. He's never known any different.

Fish are boring! I adore cats!
    I looooove cats, but i think they do need to be able to go in and out when they want, especially if your going to be out of the house alot during the day.

Why not a small rodent, like a hamster or gerbil or rat? Or a bird?!
    I'd go with a cat. When we had our fish we accedently turned one hot pink, so i suppose if you get bored you could do that :p

I do loove me cat tho, she's getting old so shes a bit crazy.
    I had the same dilemma and as my boyfriend hates how much cats shed and we can't get a dog I went the fish route.

I now have three aquariums and most of the time I'm not doing much except watch them. Three is however a lot more commitment than only one, naturally. ;)

The link you included about cleaning an aquarium is absolute garbage to me. If you want to start an aquarium go to proper fish sites and learn how to care for it.
    I never drain my aquariums or remove the gravel to wash it. If you've got a cycled tank in good balance (live plants are helpful) then the most basic maintenance is partial water changes regularly (depends on what suits you how often/much you do at a time) with a gravel vacuum. Some dirt and food leftovers can actually help (the bacteria living in the gravel) so emptying a tank and cleaning everything thoroughly can do more harm than good as you can destroy the bacteria balance which is what helps fight ammonia. So too much cleaning can actually kill fish. :)
    Or you could get a catfish :)
    both?
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Or you could get a catfish :)

Mine got eaten. :( It was really cool, my boyfriend named it NilFisk (like the brand of vacuum cleaners) and then some evil bettas just killed him and ate the poor guy.
    Fish are evil though, i found one of my fishes...half eaten. :/ a cat wouldn't do that! :p