Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

alternative to sh?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
is there an alternative to causing pain to yourself other than talking and medical help? i know exercise can sometimes help, but i need something else. i know that pain cant make anything stop and i was woundering if there was something else.

thanks.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Do you have any hobbies?
    running really helps, as does using candle wax and ice....
    no. not realy. although i have tried to do stuff but i cant keep motivated or concentrated.
    Never heard of using candle wax :chin:
    Tr4shed wrote: »
    I love playing with candle wax, not for self harming purposes, but just the joy of blowing it, and watching it get really hard!

Lol that made me giggle.

OP- have you ever thought of going to you gp? Or there is a good section on thesite about sh.
    Hey replar :wave:

Everyone's different so I can't say any one thing will work for you but I think its definately positive that you're considering if theres anything else that can help you. As already mentioned the self harm section here on the site is fab its very useful and informative, if you want to check it out this is the link selfharm

I hope this helps, keep posting, is there any reason why you're reluctant to try medical help?
    i dont want to see a gp, and i dont want medical help. its not that i want to stop as such, but i want to find alternatives.

i dunno about candle wax... or ice. spose i might be able to to try it sometime.
    What are you using just now as alternatives?
    Any reason why you don't want to use exercuse to help? It doesn't have to be anything major just something that gets you moving, like going for a walk or dancing.
    im not and i dont want to go back to it. i just keep everything to myself and its getting to me again.

and as for exersice, i cycle alot and dont spend much time at home. im looking for something for when i am at home and when im unable to go cycleing.
    Draw, write, go on the computer, listen to music, play an instrument, watch a film or tv, cook, sit ups/ press ups? I'm sure there's many more but a lot of them worked for me
    152. Drink alcohol.
    minimi38 wrote: »
    152. Drink alcohol.
    Stupidest suggestion award goes to you.

Because alcohol isn't a depressant AT ALL :rolleyes:.
    1) Substituting with other ways of hurting yourself doesn't address the issue. You might end up burning yourself and starting a new problem.
    2) Don't use alcohol.

I usually try to be les lecture-y but I'm tired and wanted ot make those points.
    Acohol enchances your mood:
    If your happy, you get more happy....
    If your depressed, you kill yourself...
    Alcohol is a depressant. That doesn't mean it makes you depressed if you're not but it also doesn't mean it makes you OMG HAPPY JOY JOY either. Even by what you just said you should not have encouraged that post at all. In fact, your post could be considered worse since marijuana has been linked to mental health problems.

Getting very drunk is a very very stupid thing to suggest to someone with harming issues, if only because if they DID do something, the alcohol would numb the pain and they could end up doing something alot worse than intended.
    It is a depressant because it depresses your inner workings. The term depressant when referring to alcohol and other drugs has nothing to do with mood, ever. A depressant decreases the responsivness of your central nervous system and slows brain function.

Though just to say when I'm drunk I am the worlds happiest person. And I will hug you until you punch me and believe I am your best friend for years. Everybody reacts differently when drunk. Some are angry, some are sad, some are violent, some are withdrawn and some are indeed very very happy happy joy joy.

But I agree with the others, it is a terrible suggestion, even though I'm sure it was a joke.
    Manda explained it better than I did.

Also Manda, you are not ALWAYS the world's happiest person when drunk. Though you do sound like a funny drunk person :p.
    I didn't say you agreed with it, I said you encouraged it.

I cba arguing about it anymore anyway.
    When did i encourage it?
    See the part where I said I cba arguing about it anymore?
    Check some of the links down the lefthand side of this page...

http://www.firstsigns.org.uk/help/index.html

xxx
    Marijuana has mental health problems yes, but if you smoke it alot for a long time. I cheeky spliff to mellow you out abit wouldn't cause any harm? Or am i miss informed again :blush:

Hi Jordan Scene,

Every individual is different, what affects one person may not affect the other. Some people can smoke the odd 'cheeky spliff' and not suffer any side effects, some people may smoke only one spliff and be left with serious mental health problems. Why don't you check out the pages we have on cannabis and mental health, there are some good links on there too - these may help you to feel more informed?

Keep posting :)
    Franki wrote: »
    Manda explained it better than I did.

Also Manda, you are not ALWAYS the world's happiest person when drunk. Though you do sound like a funny drunk person :p.

As of late I am ;) Oh it has been so long since I've had a depressing drunk night... or I only remember the happy ones :p