Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Wheat/gluten free flour?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Couple of questions:

When cooking, does it make any difference what I use? I have a recipe book which mentions several types of use to use.

Where can I buy wheat/gluten free flour? Did find somewhere online, but it was £1.50 plus for a 1kg bag.:(

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Supermarkets sell it but it is an expensive product.
    If it's an allergy then you can often get it on prescription.

Supermarkets do it, but like above, it's expensive.
    Yeah, Tesco's is one of the cheapest I think. And no, it shouldn't make a difference in cooking- I've only baked a wheat free cake once though, but it did turn out fine.
    C-A x
    If it's an allergy then you can often get it on prescription.

I did ask my GP about this a few years ago, but got told that unless they can prove it (but they can't disprove it either) then I can't get any on prescription.
    If it's not something proveable then it's worth experimenting slightly to see if it really is the wheat that's causing you the problems. Lots of people think they are allergic to wheat, whereas the actual problem lies in flour stabilisers, high quantities of gluten or additives that often occur alongside wheat.

Eg. 'Proper' pizzas, thin crust italian restaurant type ones don't cause problems, commercial bread white loaf sandwiches for lunch daily do.

Buckwheat flour is gluten free, don't know if you've come across that?

Pastry flour has a lot less gluten in it than bread making flour.
    I have tried going completely wheat free (which never lasted that long :() and was fine. I'm sometimes ok if I have something (just one thing) that's wheat free; but have had problems these last few days.

I didn't know that about buckwheat flour; thanks. I was looking at Sainsburys gluten free foods earlier and had noticed they did do rice flour, which was around £1.30 for a 1kg bag.
    can you use cornflour?
    Yes. Anything with corn, oats or rice in is fine.
    :) ok then, have you tried cornflour? I have not used it myself in cooking as a replacement for regular flour, but both of my aunties who suffer from Coeliacs (I think they are on the "quite severe" end of the spectrum) use it for cooking.
    No I haven't tried cornflour yet. Thanks for the suggestion. :)