Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Lump In Labia

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm not too concerned about this, I've had it for a long while, I just wanted to know whether anyone has anything similar and what it could be.

I have this pea size lump on the right hand side of my labia. I can move it around, hence why I'm not too worried as cancer is usually a hard lump that doesn't move, right? I just wondered if anyone had this too or am I just a freak? :p

Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Oh, to be sure, you have to consult a doctor for diagnosis. There are cancers that have no signs and painless. Is it growing? cancer means tumor but it has two types. A benign cancer is not hazardous to health while malignant cancer is the one that is hazardous. It grows and spreads rapidly associated with pain. But sometimes a simple cyst or tumor could lead to malignant cancer.
    It isn't usual to have a lump in your labia, but it's probably something like a cyst rather than anything to worry about. You're obviously worried enough to ask about it on here, so make an appointment with a GP and get it checked out. Better safe than sorry.
    Hey Squeal,

As everyone has rightly said, it's probably best you get the lump checked out by a medical professional. If not your GP, then your local sexual health clinic. You could also speak to someone at NHS direct?

Good luck and keep posting, :)
    Thanks guys, I've had it probably for a year if not two, I just remember about it every now and then, yesterday being one of those days and it hasn't killed me yet and I'm hoping it won't !!

Do women when they reach a certain age get a letter asking them to go in for a swab or whatever to check everything is alright down there?

I might see if my University offers anything when I go back, I'd rather see a complete stranger away from home than my local GP I think.
    its very likely to be a blocked bathelins gland - really common and nothing to worry about - but do get it checked out....
    its very likely to be a blocked bathelins gland - really common and nothing to worry about - but do get it checked out....

I've had that before though and they pop like a spot and are in one place.

This is lower down and I can move it between two fingers when I place them on top of it up and down and around. You can't see it from looking, just feel it under the skin.

I thought maybe someone else may have had it before on here, but maybe not! :)
    squeal wrote: »
    Thanks guys, I've had it probably for a year if not two, I just remember about it every now and then, yesterday being one of those days and it hasn't killed me yet and I'm hoping it won't !!

Do women when they reach a certain age get a letter asking them to go in for a swab or whatever to check everything is alright down there?

I might see if my University offers anything when I go back, I'd rather see a complete stranger away from home than my local GP I think.

Women are usually asked to go for a smear, or cervical screening as they are sometimes called, when they are 25 years old to check for any cell changes - see this NHS page - it's really informative, there are a few tabs to scroll across and read. It also has a video showing you what's involved in a smear test. However, if you are sexually active then it's recommended that you visit your GP or local sexual health clinic for checks, tests, advice etc.

Your University may have facilities there, or perhaps someone to ask for advice on where to go in that area. Perhaps try the Student Counsellor or person in a similar role?

Remember that your local GP will have seen it all before, but if you don't feel comfortable, you could perhaps request to see a female Doctor or Nurse? (if they have one?)

Take care - :)
    Thanks for the great information Harry, it's been very helpful.

I might pluck up the courage to go get it checked out. I don't think I should wait 5 more years :p I just wish I had a friend that was a doctor, that would be so much easier!
    That's great that you're thinking of having it checked out :thumb: - 5 years does seem like a long time to have lived with it and not know what it is.

Why don't you see if a friend could go with you if/when you make the appointment? Do you have any friends that have had anything similar checked out? They may be able to tell you what it was like? I'm sure there are plenty of females on Thesite boards who have had to go for check ups and smears, you could always ask on here too for other's experiences?

:)
    Defo get it checked out. Once you've had that done, going for a smear will be no problem!
    squeal wrote: »
    I might pluck up the courage to go get it checked out.

Don't worry about it, it's nothing a doctor's never seen before, don't be embarrassed.

Granted I'm not female, but I've had a lump on my penis checked out before. It was fine, the doctor told me it would go in a few days and could be sorted out if it didn't. Put my mind right to rest.
    Well I went to pick up a prescription this morning and whilst I was there I booked an appointment to see my GP for next Wednesday so there is no backing out now.

I just hope it is nothing serious considering I have probably had it between 1-2 years, if it was serious I would have hoped I'd have felt some side effects within that time!

Thanks for the encouragement and information, I would have probably ignored it and forgotten about it again if it wasn't for the replies so thank you :) I'll keep you updated with what is said if anyone is interested.
    Well done, always best to get these things checked out as you never know what it is. As Kermit said, keep in your mind they've seen hundreds of genitals, what's one more set :D
    Carolina wrote: »
    Well done, always best to get these things checked out as you never know what it is. As Kermit said, keep in your mind they've seen hundreds of genitals, what's one more set :D

Oh I know but it's still going to be a little weird, but then I think it'll be much worse when you have a baby so this is nothing compared to what would be on show then!

I can just imagine me being laid there with a strange woman watching me feel for a lump on my own genitals for her then to feel for it too, lovely! At least it will put my mind at rest anyway.