Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What did you after you left uni?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Says it all in the title really.

What did everyone do after they finished uni? I'm about to start my final year, and have no idea what to do out in the real world afterwards! I could go travelling, start work, do more studying, there's so many options. And then, do I go back home, or stay in my uni city, or go somewhere new. There's so many options! How was leaving university for everyone else?

I guess this thread is more for ex-students really, so not sure if it's in the right place, but hey ho.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Bummed around home and Spain for a couple of months before starting the job that I still occupy in the City a couple of months after graduating. I got the offer a week before my finals began so that was pretty awesome.
    I bummed around for 12 months in shitty temping jobs and then gradually moved into legal jobs. I've been working in advice charities for a few years and recently moved to a students union to do advicey stuff there.
    failed epically
    Went straight into my first staff nurse post. Been there since May and am realising that nursing may not be the career for me and thinking of what else I can do :crying:
    waiting to be inspired

Ok. So, i just failed my second of uni. I have 8 retakes (thats £320 to me and you) but i cant only do 6 out of 8 (2 filming projects that after a bout of swine flu just werent happening.)

Anyway, i woke up and realized that its not the end of the world. And I will finish uni but i have no interest in being there. Im looking forward to graduating so i can be free.

Im planning on going traveling. There are some people who dream of getting a certain job, theres other people who dream of getting married and having kids but im one of those people who dreams of being an international bum lol. I just want to travel and thats my only life goal/plan/idea.

Anyone else have that? Anyone else just waiting to find something to be passionate about?
    please ignore the above msg. Didnt mean to post here
    I went to a PhD in London. I now get to be a student for another 4 years AND get paid for it, although I do have to do a fair bit of work and it isn't much like undergrad. But if you are interested in your subject it's a good progression.
    I started my own business and start writing software for people, its not good right now but hope that i will start making some profit very soon.
    Having recently finished my PhD I am now working as an admin assistant in a school. Feels a bit shitty to still be doing something that I could have done straight after my GCSEs - 11 whole years ago - but I keep telling myself something else will come up soon.

I did my bachelors in Bristol, then moved to London to do an MSc in Public Policy at UCL. It was an eye-opener to be studying in such an international environment, as Bristol tended to be a bit white, southern and middle class (although I did love it to bits). I also did an internship with an MP at the same time, which was a great experience. After my masters I decided to continue in academia and return to history, and so wrote my thesis on post-1945 German refugee camps. It was a wonderful opportunity to do the research and an excuse to travel a few times to Germany - and I'll actually be going to Goettingen next month to deliver a paper at a conference. I don't think I regret it as such, but I do think I would have made it easier financially for myself if I'd have got a 'proper job' straight after my masters and not now be job hunting in the middle of a bloody recession.

Also, advice to anyone about to start a PhD - take every opportunity to grab teaching experience. I ended up only doing one semester's worth in my third year (partly because I was doing the PhD long distance so travel was complicated) and turned down the chance to teach earlier this year (because I assumed I'd already have some sort of full time job by then and didn't want to end up letting my uni down by pulling out. Ironic, huh?). I now find myself in the position where I don't really have the experience to be a viable candidate for lecturing positions (not that it stops me applying!) but part time, hourly stuff seems also thin on the ground - I wrote to a whole load of London/ SE universities in April with my CV but only got lukewarm 'we'll keep your details on file' type responses. I'd be so much stronger right now if I'd taught on even a couple more courses - so LEARN from my mistake!
    Hmmm.. i dropped out of Plymouth uni... immediately applied for South Bank... dropped out of that one, and THEN decided i better sort my medication. a lesson in life management (ie: always put your mental health first)
    I went straight into a graduate trainee scheme to be an accountant, which i fairly quickly decided wasn't for me. I left that, worked in various jobs in the property sector for a couple of years, then went travelling for 6 months. I just got back and am applying for jobs, but am planning on going back to Aus in Feb to spend another year out there. I don't feel like there's too much pressure to get my career started; I've still got another 40 years left to work!
    I dropped out after a year and started working. Best decision i ever made, but not right for everyone.
    Do you guys move back home? Or did you move somewhere else?

That's another thing that's bothering me, I just can't see myself moving to a new city, say London where most job opportunities seem to be, without knowing anyone.
    I went to Greece for 6 weeks by myself, then I did an MA, then a year of temping with the local council and now starting a PGCE. I think a lot of people leave with no clear idea what they are going to do next.
    I have one year left too Kate. Thankfully I know what I want to do so it's just a matter of applying once recruitment opens up. I may end up getting a 'boring' job to tie me over if I have to wait a while or something though.

I lived in the same town I went to Uni, however I moved out when I was 21 and bought a house with my (now) wife.

I think taking a couple of years to find your feet whilst living at home is a sensible idea, don't think I could ever go back though lol.

Initially (when I had a proper, grown up job), I moved in with my (now ex) boyfriend. When that all went horribly wrong I moved back into my Mum's house, stayed there for 18 months or so to save to go travelling, and since I've been back I've been back with my mum. It's not for everyone though, I've got a great relationship with Mum and she still annoys me sometimes... Nor is it a completely free ride, I pay living costs (but not actual 'rent'). It seems to work for us but it depends on the people involved.
    I chose to live away from my parents house throughout uni and for all the breaks. I got a job before I finished my course and almost straight away moved to the area for my job.
    I quit uni with 6 months to go to pursue a career in Air Traffic Control.

I'm now working there full time and aiming to finish my uni degree next spring if I can handle the workload (two courses + thesis). It'll just be for my ego as not many graduate jobs offer the same salary as I'm on now. I also think it'd be hard to go back to doing the 9-5 routine ;)

I moved back home when I quit uni about two and a half years ago. I was always dying to live on my own though but it didn't happen until this year when I started living with my boyfriend.