Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

student loan

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I started a degree a couple of years ago, but only did one year of it - i've been working full time since.

I'm hoping to go to uni again in september. I didn't apply for or have a loan when I was at uni last time.

Does this mean I'm entitled to one now?

Going to ring up to check but have come across a few different views. Some people seem to think I won't be able to get a loan because I started a degree course. But some people have said that because I havent had a loan before, I should be ok to have one now.

Anyone know?

Thanks!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The rules around people who have already done some kind of study are reasonably complicated.

There are then two questions, are you entitled to a loan and are you entitled to support with your tuition fees.

The easiest way to find out is to apply if by September you mean next month as the student finance applications for year 09/10 are online now. If you mean next September then it's a case of trawling through all the info on Student Finance England (SFE) and direct.gov.uk and talking to your LEA.

As you've not completed a degree you should get some help, but whether you'll get it for the year you are essentially repeating I don't know.
    The general rule is four years support minus any years study you've previously had. So if you start a three year degree course you will be fine (4 years support minus one year's degree equals three years support). If you start a four year degree course you might not get support in the first year.

It is sometimes more complicated than this, but that's the general rule.

If you're wanting to start in September 09 then you're leaving it very late. If it's September 2010 then have a look around, maybe call Student Finance England in September/October when they're quieter.
    Hello,

I suggest you to go for online colleges like Caluniversity.edu which offers distance learning programs, admission’s counselors will make your education experience smoother and easier than you ever thought possible. You can take up any of the new courses among several Masters and Doctorate programs available.

CalUniversity.edu now proudly announces the “California InterContinental University 2009 Scholarship Prize Essay Contest” which offers the winner a fee waiver of $3000 on registering for a course at CalU. Since, every participant is a winner and it was decided to offer a fee waiver of $2000 for every unique participant.

For more information visit Caluniversity.edu
    Helpful, but this is a UK BASED WEBSITE, moron.
    Ah ha ha, you do make me laugh Kermit.