Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Losing weight

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It won't hurt to go along and try nipping it in the bed before it gets a major problem, you just need to be completely honest with them.
    starving yourself to get to 8 stone then starting to eat healthy WILL make you put weight back on, you cannot maintain that kinda of unhealthy weight loss without starving yourself permanently
    starving yourself to get to 8 stone then starting to eat healthy WILL make you put weight back on, you cannot maintain that kinda of unhealthy weight loss without starving yourself permanently

:yes:

And starving yourself permanently could lead to a rather unhealthy case of death.

Please, nip this in the bad while you still can.
    Looking at some of the things you've said on this thread it really does sound like you have an unhealthy view towards food and the reasons you're trying to lose the weight aren't the correct reasons. Nobody can fault you if you want to lose weight, it's your choice. The reason people worry or point out things to you is because nobody wants to see you make yourself ill through it. We've all probably known people who have had a food disorder and it's as awful as watching an alcoholic or a drug user abuse their body.

Skin and bone is not attractive and it's not healthy. My friend narrowly missed out on getting hospitalised because she was 5"4 and 6 1/2 stone. She looked like a dead person walking :no: Another friend who is 45 has struggled with anorexia on off for 30 years. She's just come out of hospital again after another year long battle with her disorder. She went past me on crutches the other day and i thought she was a 10 year old boy. Breaks your heart and i'd imagine her children's hearts too.

Hence why i wouldn't want you to put yourself or your family through it.
    Olive wrote: »
    :yes:

And starving yourself permanently could lead to a rather unhealthy case of death.

Please, nip this in the bad while you still can.
    I'm sorry but that made me lol :(.

Notanotherusername - do not do this to yourself. Don't. Ever. 8 stone is weeny no matter what height you are. Unless you're like, 8, which I don't think you are.

If you want to lose weight the healthy way, there are lots and lots of people on this forum who I'm sure would be happy to help you figure out a plan that you can stick to so that you can do it properly and be proud of yourself when you get where you want to be. I myself want to lose about three and a half stone (and I need to, my stomach has the stretch marks of someone who's about to bloody give birth) but I know I need to do it properly and I know that once I am at my goal weight I will be so much happier with myself than if I'd starved myself.

You won't be happy at 8 stone. You won't be happy at 7 stone or 6 stone or 5 stone either. Not if you go the route you're going. Do not do it to yourself and, as someone who is in a permanent state of worry over someone who has an ED, do not do it to your friends and your family. It's not worth it. Ever.
    it's not that I'm not listening and it's not that I'm not prepared to take the advice given. I have read every post and thought about what people are saying, but this ISNT a walk in the park for me, it's not something I can stop without hating myself! I have no idea what to do and I'm really scared. So I'm sorry if I can't just see sense and stop. My way of dealing with it is defending it because if I admit I'm wrong then I admit I have a problem. I'm just trying to get a wider perspective on things, so sorry for pissing everyone off.

If you admit you are wrong and you have a problem, then you still have a problem even if you dont admit you are wrong.
    I am 5ft 4 and 7 stone- size 2/4. It's not healthy I promise. Don't focus on losing weight by eating less calories- but have less fat. Stick to around 1,500 calories a day, but things with low fat content. Don't eat to much fruit as it is bad for you after a while! Can make all your teeth rot. Exercise is good to haha! Try and walk 2 miles on weekend, then 3 the next and so on....
    C-A x
    You say you hate the way you look that you're eating next to nothing to lose weight. I'm not an expert on eating disorders but it's possible you have one based on what you've said.
    I am 5ft 4 and 7 stone- size 2/4. It's not healthy I promise. Don't focus on losing weight by eating less calories- but have less fat. Stick to around 1,500 calories a day, but things with low fat content. Don't eat to much fruit as it is bad for you after a while! Can make all your teeth rot. Exercise is good to haha! Try and walk 2 miles on weekend, then 3 the next and so on....
    C-A x

Id personally say do more exercise and keep the calorie intake a tad above the 1500 mark, as that is still verging on a long term starvation of the body.
    Well...i tried to eat lunch today (cheese sandwich) and i genuinely couldn't. I managed to each half of it and after that i just...couldn't. I'm not sure if i couldn't because i had no idea the amount of calories it had in it or something else. :(
    Well...i tried to eat lunch today (cheese sandwich) and i genuinely couldn't. I managed to each half of it and after that i just...couldn't. I'm not sure if i couldn't because i had no idea the amount of calories it had in it or something else. :(

Not cool :(
    g_angel wrote: »
    Not cool :(

it's not is it...
    me thinks a wee chat with your gp wouldn't go amiss, the sooner this is dealt with the better i think.

remember if your gp isn't sympathetic you can always ask to see a different dr
    Heyy again- well a slice of bread is anything from 90 to 105 calories normally, but they have very low fat content. So you shouldn't worry about sandwiches . please do vist your doctor though, they can help :-)
    C-A xx
    Heyy again- well a slice of bread is anything from 90 to 105 calories normally, but they have very low fat content. So you shouldn't worry about sandwiches . please do vist your doctor though, they can help :-)
    C-A xx

yeah i knew it didn't have a lot but i still couldnt bring myself to eat the whole thing. It's kinda a lot of calories for one slice. :/ which the rest of you probably think it isn't...
    me thinks a wee chat with your gp wouldn't go amiss, the sooner this is dealt with the better i think.

Yeah, i'm thinking about it :)
    -Take no notice-
    how long did you have 400 a day for? if you dont mind me asking
    I still only have about 1,000 a day- WHICH IS NOT GOOD! I do calorie count and honestly, after about 2 years of being weight obsessed I would love to just eat and eat. But there is always something in the back of your mind (I'm sure you know what I mean) that just stops you. You should defiantly get out of this before it's to later- whether you go it alone, or with professional help. My friends sister, who is 15, has just got out of hospital after 3 months on the anorexia ward. She still wont admit something is wrong... and that is the first step. So well do for admitting that already I must say :-p x
    C-A x
    Yeah it's like (or for me) I see someone eating something I like an I think" oohh that looks good" and then I realise tht I'm that hungry I feel sick but I still can't bring myself to eat. It's horrible but at the same time I feel better when I don't.
    Please see a doctor before this gets too severe. If it'll help write down what you want to tell him/her.
    how long did you have 400 a day for? if you dont mind me asking

Btw, just because someone else has done something unhealthy and seemingly escaped unharmed doesn't mean you will. Some people have eating disorders for years and then even recover, but some people do die within months. Be very careful. This is not just a slightly unhealthy way to control your emotions. You could be actually, literally, dicing with death.

Crying Angel - I know you're trying to be helpful, but please be aware that posting specifics in a thread about eating disorders (i.e. weight, BMI, calories consumed a day) can trigger competitive behaviour in people. It's best to pass on your opinion without giving actual numbers.

Crying Angel - I know you're trying to be helpful, but please be aware that posting specifics in a thread about eating disorders (i.e. weight, BMI, calories consumed a day) can trigger competitive behaviour in people. It's best to pass on your opinion without giving actual numbers.

I have to agree strongly with this.
    Just because I asked doesn't mean I'm going to do it
    Just because I asked doesn't mean I'm going to do it

Perhaps not, but it can be triggering.
    ...s'pose...

Agree too. It can start a ball rolling rather than scaring someone.

p.s Maybe if you feel contacting your doctor is too hard a step then you could try speaking or emailing someone from a website?
    http://www.b-eat.co.uk/Home or http://www.something-fishy.org/sitemap.php
    It can be triggering for someone else who is reading.
    Like the whole of last summer.... and for two weeks of that I just had apple lucozade.

as in the drink? I didn't know you could get apple lucozade
    And sorry to be blunt but crying_angel, if you haven't already it does sound like you yourself should seek some medical help as well since you sound like you have an unhealthy relationship with food too. :(

notanotherusername! - i would not reccommend trying to live on lucozade and fresh air.
    I won't I don't like fizzy juice. :)

I have been obsesed with my weight for ages now so i have thought this through ( although admittedly not very well) but I struggle to see the bad side of it because I suppose my judgement is clouded by how I want to look. And I know that there is a healthy way of doing it but this way I feel that I'am in control.

I don't mind the comments crying_angel is saying because they are allowing me to relate, but I can see how theY could potentialy trigger others in the same boat or maybe me on a bad day.