Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Car breaks

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The brakes on my car have been sqeaking for ages when it's been raining. I think this could be due to worn brake pads? Anyone know roughly how much this will cost to repair at a garage? I've got a Ford KA 2003.

Edited to add that the title should read 'car brakes' not 'car breaks'.

Comments

• SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    DIY.

It's easy and you save yourself some money.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Skive wrote: »
    DIY.

If you know how lol.

I've got a vague idea how to do it, but I know a garage that only charges me for the parts so i use him anyway.

For something like brakes you can normally goto a "backstreet" garage, it's hard for them to overcharge you amd they're normally far cheaper than main dealers anyway.
    Whowhere wrote: »
    I've got a vague idea how to do it, but I know a garage that only charges me for the parts so i use him anyway.

At what mark up? They don't do it for free that's for sure.

Haynes manuals. Learn it.
    Available for every car at Halfords.

http://www.haynes.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote: »
    DIY.

No. Don't DIY unless you know what you're doing. Brakes are very important, and whilst they're a doddle to those who've done them before, it shouldn't be advised to someone who hasn't touched them before.

Pads... £30 or so, maybe less. Labour - assuming there are no problems, well under an hour.
    No. Don't DIY unless you know what you're doing. Brakes are very important, and whilst they're a doddle to those who've done them before, it shouldn't be advised to someone who hasn't touched them before.

I disagree. Well we all have to start somewhere. How else do you learn?
    Weekender Offender 
    Oh aye, we all start somewhere. I started with a lawnmower engine, then jumped straight in to the camshaft timing on an Esprit, then the gearbox came off to get at the crankshaft seal...

...but you don't start with brakes. If someone else is there who knows what they're doing, then it's completely different. But for a first-experience? How many things are there to go wrong with a pretty vital part of the car?

Wheelnuts
    Corroded/sticky pistons
    Pad springs
    Caliper bolts
    Flexible brake hoses

What happens if they end up leaking fluid, after sanding too much off the piston? Or ruin the seal from pushing an overly-corroded piston back in? Or they leave a caliper hanging by its hose, which fails in 3 weeks time from the awkward strain? Or if they strip the threads of the bolts securing the caliper to the stay? Is someone unfamiliar with such things likely to know what torque feels right with these things? Or that you need to pop the cap from the reservoir before pushing the pistons back in? Are they going to notice that the inside of the disc has excessive fractures?

You start with air filters, HT leads, fitting speakers, removing headlamps to get at the bulbs... things that don't have quite the same consequences if they're not quite right...
    Oh aye, we all start somewhere. I started with a lawnmower engine, then jumped straight in to the camshaft timing on an Esprit, then the gearbox came off to get at the crankshaft seal...

...but you don't start with brakes. If someone else is there who knows what they're doing, then it's completely different. But for a first-experience? How many things are there to go wrong with a pretty vital part of the car?

Wheelnuts
    Corroded/sticky pistons
    Pad springs
    Caliper bolts
    Flexible brake hoses

What happens if they end up leaking fluid, after sanding too much off the piston? Or ruin the seal from pushing an overly-corroded piston back in? Or they leave a caliper hanging by its hose, which fails in 3 weeks time from the awkward strain? Or if they strip the threads of the bolts securing the caliper to the stay? Is someone unfamiliar with such things likely to know what torque feels right with these things? Or that you need to pop the cap from the reservoir before pushing the pistons back in? Are they going to notice that the inside of the disc has excessive fractures?

You start with air filters, HT leads, fitting speakers, removing headlamps to get at the bulbs... things that don't have quite the same consequences if they're not quite right...

I have to agree. I changed the brakes on my 350Z twice (once to track discs/pads, and then back again right before I sold it), but there is no way I would have attempted that without somebody knowing what they were doing. The mechanical bit is easy (wheel off, discs of etc), but bleeding the brakes is the bit that can go badly wrong.

Saying that, I would suggest the OP tries for the DIY, assuming they have somebody with a bit of experience on hand to help/supervise.
    You learn with someone who knows what they're doing to keep an eye on it.

Not by yourself, with only a vague idea of what bit does what, and a Haynes manual as your only guidance.
    The only people with any knowledge about cars are my dad and my stepdad, my dad lives a 4 hour drive away and my stepdad works away so I can't ask either of them to help. I am totally not a practical person at all, so I've booked it in at a garage on saturday. It dawned on me that I hadn't had it serviced for three years so am killing two birds with one stone. Dread to think how must this will cost, typical I made the last payment on this car this month after 5 years, now watch me have to spend out loads of money on repairs!