Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Losing weight

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Me and a friend were talking the other day and we got into a debate about the way I plan on losing weight. Basically iam eating one meal a day and if I feel hungry I just have a drink or some fruit. She says I don't need to lose weight but I really really think I do. (I'm just over 9 stone and I'm 5ft 2ish) to me I think I look fat.

She says that it could develop into an eating disorder if I'm not careful, which I think it won't. I'm planing on getting down to just under 8 stone. I'm already writing down what meal I eat and how many calories I take in roughly a day. Does it sound like a problem? I don't think it does but I would like some truthful opinions please. :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I dont know much about it tbh but they way i'd suggest is to keep your three meals a day, all of them balanced of course, but eat smaller portions, maybe 1/2 of 3/4 of your normal sized meal. Then if your hungry later have a healthy snack or a drink like you said.

One meal a day to me sounds a bit dangerous, not only cos of the disorder like your friend said but also i dont think its the most effective way to lose weight. Youd probably end up eating a huuuuge meal every day t keep you full which would then have no effect.
    Nah it's not a big meal because mum cooks tea so it's small/normal portion. And I can always say I'm not hungry and wither have none or very little. But I usually end up not eating it all anyway.
    One meal a day is unhealthy and the wrong way to lose weight. If i'm right then you're more likely to put on weight that way (although not 100% so health buffs on here please correct me?).

You need to be eating 3 healthy meals a day and exercising to be a healthy well balanced person if that's what you want to be. No point making yourself ill to achieve something. Do it the correct way and it'll be worth it and the results will be easier to manage and last longer.

*says the drunken bum :)
    You are 5" 2' and 9 stone and I am 5" 4' and 14 stone. Something tells me that you're not the one who needs to lose weight :-)
    Obviously to lose some weight you have to eat less calories but I can't imagine with 1 meal you're getting enough calories.
    seriously, one meal a day is NOT enough. what most likely will happen is you will start getting hungry more often and end up snacking. have 3, healthy balanced meals a day and most importantly do some exercise, best way to lose weight. :)
    Personally, i dont think 1 meal is very good, but you dont sound like you need to lose any weight as i always thought your height and weight together was quite healthy. I would just suggest 2 healthy meals a day with some exercise if you really think you need to lose some weight. :)
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Instead of decreasing the amount of food you eat to a point where your not eating properly. Try make sure what you do eat isn't all crap and increasing you activity.
    Weekender Offender 
    Thanks guys

I know I probably don't need to lose that much weight but I hate my body now and I will do anything to lose weight. I will be doing exercise aswell as we have a gym. But I do know that one meal aday is not good, and I shouldn't do it but there's soomethin in the control that makes me want to.
    If its about control i would say you are already on your way to an eating disorder!
    It is not healthy, you won't get enough vitamins etc and you will put the weight back on once you start eating normally again.
    If you wanna mess your body up then carry on but it seriously isnt the best way.
    9 Stone is a very healthy weight for your height. Why not try toning up instead.
    Hey nuan :wave:

As others have mentioned, one meal a day is not a healthy way to lose weight and it does raise worries about your desire to control you're eating.

As Tweety says, once you start to eat normally again it's likley that you will put weight back on again quite quickly. Fast diets may have short term effects that you enjoy but in the long term the best way to keep weight off is a healthy 3 meals a day combined with regular exercise.

It's about adjusting your lifestyle and considering what foods you eat which does require a certain amount of self-discipline and patience.

You also mentioned that you 'hate your body' :( it may be worth thinking about your self-esteem as this can affect how you see yourself and how you think others see you too. Building this up and gaining a bit more confidence could help you to not place so much emphasis on how you feel about you body and be happier with the way you are.

Hope this helps :)
    Tweety wrote: »
    If its about control i would say you are already on your way to an eating disorder!
    It is not healthy, you won't get enough vitamins etc and you will put the weight back on once you start eating normally again.
    If you wanna mess your body up then carry on but it seriously isnt the best way.
    9 Stone is a very healthy weight for your height. Why not try toning up instead.

I agree with Tweety. Once you mention the word control it's no longer about just being disatisfied with your weight but going into the realms of a disorder.
    All i can say is please try so much not to let this take over your life. I had to watch my best friend go through years of hell due to anorexia and it was heartbreaking. Luckily she's come through the other side but many don't :no:

You can be thin and healthy and happy.
    I think the way you are thinking about this is completely wrong/unsafe, i would recommend this it calculates how many calories you can eat to maintain/lose/gain weight and basesit on your weight, height and ages, i'd definately recommend it. Also remember eating less than 1200 calories in a day means when you start to eat normally again, your body will cling onto everything you put in
    I'm concerned about the emphasis on the food side of losing weight and not the exercise side of things. Why adjust the diet? Just move more. As you increase your calorific output, you'll lose weight and become fitter. The fitter you are the more effectively you'll lose weight and maintain your ideal.

Only once you realise that exercise alone isn't hitting your targets, then you adjust your diet accordingly.

Exercise first, adjust food second.
    Shifty77 wrote: »

Exercise first, adjust food second.

I disagree - there's an old saying in training/health circles:

"You can't out train a bad diet"

What people should be doing is adjusting your diet to include a more balanced coverage - a good balance of carbs, proteins and good fats, as well as increasing your activity levels.

There is no point whatsoever in starving yourself, nor is there any point in starting doing some exercise if all you are eating is junk.
    g_angel wrote: »
    I disagree - there's an old saying in training/health circles:

"You can't out train a bad diet"

What people should be doing is adjusting your diet to include a more balanced coverage - a good balance of carbs, proteins and good fats, as well as increasing your activity levels.

There is no point whatsoever in starving yourself, nor is there any point in starting doing some exercise if all you are eating is junk.
    :yes:
    Shifty77 wrote: »
    Just move more.

...i don't just sit around and do nothing.

I think the way you are thinking about this is completely wrong/unsafe, i would recommend this it calculates how many calories you can eat to maintain/lose/gain weight and basesit on your weight, height and ages, i'd definately recommend it. Also remember eating less than 1200 calories in a day means when you start to eat normally again, your body will cling onto everything you put in

mmm, i'll have a look :) i think my highest intake of calories last week was about 1100.

I'm not just doing this for the sake of it, i know what will happen to my body. Its really hard to explain why i'am doing this but in a werid kind of way it feels right and if i eat something really fatty then the next day i don't eat. Then there is something about being starving and not letting myself eat make me feel better.

I'm not just doing this for the sake of it, i know what will happen to my body. Its really hard to explain why i'am doing this but in a werid kind of way it feels right and if i eat something really fatty then the next day i don't eat. Then there is something about being starving and not letting myself eat make me feel better.

Then that indeed is the makings of some form of disorder. Nip this in the bud before it deteriorates.
    Then that indeed is the makings of some form of disorder. Nip this in the bud before it deteriorates.

Definately agree with this

ETA: i've just done a rough calculation and for maintainance you need roughly 1900 calories a day, dropping below 1200 will be terrible for you, maybe thats why you think your fat, (in addition to the underlying issue) your body is in starvation mode already and is just clinging onto every calorie you are putting in.
    HI There. One meal a day is not healthy. Do you plan to continue the one meal a day, when you get to 8 stone? the thing is the weight will go back on when you start to eat normally again, so it's not sustainable in the long term. the best thing is to eat when you are hungry, we don't listen to our bodies enough. To be honest, I don't obsess about my weight anymore, and I'm nearly 10 stone and 5 foot 7. I was only 9 stone (too thin) when I got married last year & had two miscarriages, & I think it was because my body wasn't healthy, because i was dieting for a while before the wedding. Please don't put your body at risk.
    NavyBlue wrote: »
    HI There. One meal a day is not healthy. Do you plan to continue the one meal a day, when you get to 8 stone?

TBH, i'm not sure. It depends if I'm happy at 8 stone or if i wanna lose a little more. But i don't think i would go back to eating loads, and i will be doing a lot of exercise.

Obviously i'm not completely agreeing with you on that one, but i can see why you would think that.
    TBH, i'm not sure. It depends if I'm happy at 8 stone or if i wanna lose a little more. But i don't think i would go back to eating loads, and i will be doing a lot of exercise.

Trust me, you can eat PLENTY of healthy food, provided you are working out. It's when you're eating loads of junk that your body goes downhill.

Obviously i'm not completely agreeing with you on that one, but i can see why you would think that.

Funnily enough, people that tend to develop whatever disorders rarely see they have a problem until they're well down that road. :yeees: We've been through this with certainly one other board user I can think of.

Why don't you try looking at different ways of judging your body. For example your body fat percentage. That's a much healthier way of seeing how you're doing, and also, you get that lovely lean look that I assume you're looking for? Also, you could measure yourself (thighs, waist etc) and monitor progress. Weight is not a very good thing to use to set your goals.
    g_angel wrote: »
    Funnily enough, people that tend to develop whatever disorders rarely see they have a problem until they're well down that road. :yeees: We've been through this with certainly one other board user I can think of.

thought you might say that :yeees:

:no:
    the reason people are saying it is cause its true

voila
    Eating one meal a day, especially with the little amount of calories you state, will do one thing, and that is put your body into a starvation mode. Where your body will store as much fat/weight as it can.

Eating more, and then also exercising more is the solution. If you have say 5 smaller meals a day than 3 big ones, you can actually get away with eating more food in total over the 5 portions than the three. As it is constantly keeping your metabolism up.
    the reason people are saying it is cause its true

Technically it is, but there is nothing saying that I will develop an eating disorder of any kind. And yes I am being stubborn and probably pissing some people off.

And I know that if I do go back to eating normaly then I will probably put the weight on, but if I start to eat healthy when I get to 8 stone then it should be fine.

:no:

You asked for help, i am telling you how i see it, and how many others see it. If you arent prepared to see it then theres not much more anyone can do.

You asked for advice, if you don't want to listen to it then theres no point saying any more.
    Feeling its about control IS on way or already an eating disorder. If you choose to ignore that then its up to you.
    I'm sure any professtional would tell you the same.
    But if you want to wreck your body go ahead.
    Tweety wrote: »
    You asked for help, i am telling you how i see it, and how many others see it. If you arent prepared to see it then theres not much more anyone can do.

You asked for advice, if you don't want to listen to it then theres no point saying any more.
    Feeling its about control IS on way or already an eating disorder. If you choose to ignore that then its up to you.
    I'm sure any professtional would tell you the same.
    But if you want to wreck your body go ahead.

it's not that I'm not listening and it's not that I'm not prepared to take the advice given. I have read every post and thought about what people are saying, but this ISNT a walk in the park for me, it's not something I can stop without hating myself! I have no idea what to do and I'm really scared. So I'm sorry if I can't just see sense and stop. My way of dealing with it is defending it because if I admit I'm wrong then I admit I have a problem. I'm just trying to get a wider perspective on things, so sorry for pissing everyone off.
    Well the fact you know deep down you have a problem is a start. Can you go talk to your gp about it? They can refer you to people who will help teach you to love yourself and to have a better relationship with food.
    I could go to my gp but because it's not a major problem...yet...then she might not be that interested.