Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

sore tooth

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
:crying: well i have a wisdom tooth coming through and the right side of my mouth is swollen and i can just about eat. I am all pilled up on pain killers but it doesnt seem to do anything.

So do you think i should go to the denist??...i really hate going i have panic attacks when i go but i am in soo much pain. if you think i should go do you have any tips for me so i dont get into such a state??

thank you for listening well reading ha

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yes! ffs go! Honestly do you really think the dentist will cause you so much pain that you'll die or something?
    Just go and get it sorted out, the sooner you go the sooner your wisdom teeth will be sorted out and the sooner you will be pain free!
    Sucks going i know, i hate visiting the dentists too but if its going to make you feel better then surely its a necessary evil!?
    no i dont think he is going to cause me so much pain i will die...i panic because of all the needels and injecting my mouth i had a bad experinece with it ages ago and i never went again my dad made oppointments and i used 2 cancel them.

i dont know why i feel so bad about them i just do!...but i supose i should just get myself off ha
    I think most people will have had bad experiences when they were younger, but you just have to ask yourself whats worse, 5 seconds of pain from an injection or weeks of pain from your tooth?
    hwne you have a fear of something its not as easy as saying just going in and doing it...it might not seem a big deal to u but its a big deal to me.
    Best thing you can do for wisdom tooth pain is brush it well, gargle with warm salty water and use a good mouthwash regularly (Corsydol is a particularly good one for this).

If the side of your face is swollen then you need to see a dentist as that suggests there might be an infection.

Tips to deal with dental appointments if you're not too keen are:

1. Take your iPod/MP3/walkman/CD player along. The dentist is usually more than happy for you to listen to that while they do anything that needs doing. Obviously you need to take the headphones out to talk to them but you can listen to your choice in music the rest of the time. Pick something you think will help you, patients seem divided in opinion between something loud/rocky/upbeat and something soothing and calming.

2. Tell the dentist you're nervous of dentistry (NB. dentistry, not dentists, that one goes down much better!) as soon as you arrive. You can say you've brought your music along at the same time as this. That way they know, and the nurse will put effort into making sure you are comfortable.

3. Bribe yourself for good behaviour. a) you'll feel so much better a few hours after your appointment because the pain will be starting to go away, b) give yourself some kind of treat afterwards - but only if you go along and be good!

4. Take a friend if you think it will help, some people find taking a friend along helps them keep their nerves under control as getting too panicked in front of the friend would be embarassing.

Good luck.
  • Soph001Soph001 Posts: 105 The Mix Convert
    I think those are some amazing tips, I hope they give you the courage to go along, hiddenxxsecrets. Because having a wisdom tooth growing through can often cause problems - like being impacted . Not to scare you - this is not usually the case, but if you're in pain it's just reassuring to know why!

One thing you could do is book a dentist appointment but look at it as a fact-finding mission. At a minimum, all you have to do is hear information about why your mouth hurts - you don't have to agree to any treatment they suggest. You can ask to have a few days to think about it and come back (or not) if you like.

Dentists are used to poeple having phobias of them (poor things)! They even have an advice sheet about it at the British Dental Health Foundation website, and there's another one by the NHS.

I hope all this helps, we know it's a real fear and it's difficult. Lots of support and hugs! :)
    Best thing you can do for wisdom tooth pain is brush it well, gargle with warm salty water and use a good mouthwash regularly (Corsydol is a particularly good one for this).

If the side of your face is swollen then you need to see a dentist as that suggests there might be an infection.

Tips to deal with dental appointments if you're not too keen are:

1. Take your iPod/MP3/walkman/CD player along. The dentist is usually more than happy for you to listen to that while they do anything that needs doing. Obviously you need to take the headphones out to talk to them but you can listen to your choice in music the rest of the time. Pick something you think will help you, patients seem divided in opinion between something loud/rocky/upbeat and something soothing and calming.

2. Tell the dentist you're nervous of dentistry (NB. dentistry, not dentists, that one goes down much better!) as soon as you arrive. You can say you've brought your music along at the same time as this. That way they know, and the nurse will put effort into making sure you are comfortable.

3. Bribe yourself for good behaviour. a) you'll feel so much better a few hours after your appointment because the pain will be starting to go away, b) give yourself some kind of treat afterwards - but only if you go along and be good!

4. Take a friend if you think it will help, some people find taking a friend along helps them keep their nerves under control as getting too panicked in front of the friend would be embarassing.

Good luck.
    Good advice.
    I'm scared of going to the dentist too but I've deciced next time I go if he says I need something big doing I'll take my mp4 player with me.
    Maybe take something to cover your eyes too.
    Yes, you really have to go to a dentist because that's the perfect person that could help you. To lessen your fear, you can listen to a soothing music while you are sitting on the dentist's chair. Listen to a soothing music like lovesongs, it could relax you. That was also used by some doctors to ease their nervous patients especially in having a major operation.
    thank you all for your adivce but my tooth is alot better now :D so no need to go xx
    You're off the hook for the time being, but if it's regularly causing problems it would be worth having a check up at some point at your convenience and getting it looked at.

Dentists are a lot easier to deal with when you're not in pain.

In the mean time, make sure you brush it well, especially if it's a little bit sore to do so.