Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Caffiene pills v coffee

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Are caffiene pills that much sorse for you than coffee? My job is so boring I can barely keep my eyes open. The coffee they have is so disgusting I have to add half a pound of flavored cream and sugar just to make it drinkable. I can't make it thru the day without at least one cup (by cup I mean giant mug) I've tried it without all the addons and it makes me want to puke.

The thousand calorie coffee I make is doing nothing for my figure :p and thought about trying caffiene pills. It says 1 has the caffiene of 1 cup of coffee. I took it, was fine. Stayed awake, no side effects. But there always (or perhaps I'm just stuck in the 80s) this stigma around caffiene pills. So are they really that much worse for you than just drinking all that coffee?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Im not sure bout the pills but why not bring a massive flask of your own coffee to work with you?
    No. caffeine is caffeine, no matter what's the source. Check the dosage tho and don't take too much at once, for the obvious adverse effects (It's easier to swallow 5 pills, than to drink 5 cups of joe).

Just to mention other options too: There are - in my opinion - better ways of staying active (if you got enough sleep) in most cases.
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    No. caffeine is caffeine, no matter what's the source. Check the dosage tho and don't take too much at once, for the obvious adverse effects (It's easier to swallow 5 pills, than to drink 5 cups of joe).

Just to mention other options too: There are - in my opinion - better ways of staying active (if you got enough sleep) in most cases.

I've got no proble staying awake any other time. It is just the job. If I'm not at work, weekends or I actually have something to do it is no problem but you can only take sitting in a corner browsing "odd news" on yahoo for so many hours before your eyelids just get too heavey to take.

And bringing my own coffee would require me to get out of bed that whole 10 minutes earlier as I don't have a fancy pot that I can put on a timer and I am so unwilling to do that. :p
    And thanks for the replies :D
    Bring some ground/beans and a caffietiere to work. Show the munters what real coffee is :-) A cup of the real shiznit will be more than what the pills or energy drinks can ever do.
    I think they say a cup of coffee contains 80-180 mg of caffeine. As strubbles said, the tabets won't have any side effects unless you take more than you would drink in coffee. They might also kick in slower since the caffeine in coffee is in liquid and the tablets are solid.
    The LD50 for caffiene is 150-200 per kilo of body mass, which is 80-100 cups of coffee for the average adult. As long as you don't exceed that, you're okay. I don't know what the half-life of caffiene, so I don't know if the cool down after 80/100 cups is a day or whatnot.
    No guarantees now, but I'll try to keep it under 2 bottles of pills or 10 pots of coffee ;)
    Monserrat wrote: »
    The LD50 for caffiene is 150-200 per kilo of body mass, which is 80-100 cups of coffee for the average adult. As long as you don't exceed that, you're okay. I don't know what the half-life of caffiene, so I don't know if the cool down after 80/100 cups is a day or whatnot.
    Technically if she takes the LD50 dose she has a 50% chance of dying - not exactly okay in my book :p There would also be a multitude of side-effects at much lower doses than that. I can get shakes, jitters, even paranoia after a really coffee-heavy day.
    Why don't you just buy a nice instant coffee instead? Nescafe's Alta Rica is pretty good, if pricey- I'm sure you have Nescafe over there!
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Kermit wrote: »
    :lol:

Nice try!

Have deleted now. :thumb: