Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Biting nails

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ive always had a really bad habit of biting my nails, as a result, i have hardly any nails left, and they are really weak. Is there anything i can do to help them grow and help make them a bit stronger? And possibly away to stop me from biting them?!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Theres a nail varnish you can get at the chemist that is used to stop people biting their nails. It tastes horrible. There is also a nail varnish to help strengthen them i think you can get that in Boots or something.
    yea dunno if you get stuff form Avon? But they do a strengthening polish thing. I bite my nails, I tried to stop by wearing gloves but it didn't work!! My cousin puts a sticky plaster/band aid round her middle finger to remind her not to chew them, it kinda works...
    C-A xx
    the nasty tasting stuff works for stopping the biting for some people. As for strengthening nails and speedy growth, my mums side of the family swear by eating a cube of jelly each day.
    As for strengthening nails and speedy growth, my mums side of the family swear by eating a cube of jelly each day.

Hmm, thats intresting :)
    See i'd heard the jelly thing before and also someone suggested gelatin as a supplement to help my horse grown good hoof but i don't think it's ever been proved that it is good for nail growth :chin: Urban myth or fact, not sure :)

I used to bite my nails and i loathed the fact i did it but i couldn't stop myself. Somehow i managed to go "cold turkey" and stopped myself from doing it. But if you need help Boots do a good anti nailbite solution, tastes rank. Also try and get some Collection 2000 2 in 1 strengthener. Swear by it for helping harding up nails. A year on and i still struggle with weak/brittle nails due to biting for so long. You don't think when you're doing how much you damage your nails :(
    I annoy myself doing it, but i cant stop! I try painting my nails to stop me, and it works cos there pretty and i dont want to ruin them, but it doesnt make them any stronger :( :banghead:
    Yeah, I heard jello works wonders on improving hair condition and nails. :3

Once I got braces, I stopped biting them if that helps... Definitely go with that biting solution, and just keep coating your nails with strengthner when you can. :]
    ohh well nails can get stronger from calcium too (like drinking milk ect.) when I turned vegan my nails went all weak, but alot of things have calcium in- just make sure you have enough each day :-) think that'll help abit over time.
    C-A xx
    Usually, nail biting is a sign of stress and tension and most of the people who are doing that are quite unsure of themselves and insecure. You can learn to stop the habit by controlling yourself to avoid it. If you're nails are easily torn, it means that you lack some nutrients in your body and is not healthy. YOu can just use a clear nail polish to strengthen your nails.
    I tried to stop biting for years and didn't succeed and when I forgot about quitting I stopped. I haven't bitten them for about 6 years,