Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

80s Costume

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So my mate's every increasingly expensive stag night is now a fancy dress night in an 80s stylee too. So any ideas? I was gonna go as a Ghostbuster, but then I realised there might be a few problems getting into clubs with a dirty set of overalls and a supersoaker. I know someone with a Choose Life t-shirt if I need it, but I'd rather not go as Wham. Also, I've just cut my hair, so quiffs are a bit out of the question.

Preferably a film or TV character (without makeup). I priced up a Top Gun outfit, but that was getting ridiculously expensive.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    So my mate's every increasingly expensive stag night is now a fancy dress night in an 80s stylee too. So any ideas? I was gonna go as a Ghostbuster, but then I realised there might be a few problems getting into clubs with a dirty set of overalls and a supersoaker. I know someone with a Choose Life t-shirt if I need it, but I'd rather not go as Wham. Also, I've just cut my hair, so quiffs are a bit out of the question.

Preferably a film or TV character (without makeup). I priced up a Top Gun outfit, but that was getting ridiculously expensive.

I went to a Top Gun themed party one time...

I bought a cheap pair of aviators, and then stuck a load of feathers onto a t-shirt (bought a feather filled pillow, and used fabric glue and hair spray to hold them in place), and wore some combats for bottoms/boots.

Who did I go as?

GOOSE! :D:D:D
    I was gonna go as Goose. :D
    Actually, I'm thinking Indiana Jones. The hat, whip and bag are all available as fairly cheap official merchandise, and then the clothes are all fairly gettable. Okay it's an 80s movie set in the 30s so it might not fit in with everyone else's big glasses, but who cares?
    g_angel wrote: »
    I went to a Top Gun themed party one time...

I bought a cheap pair of aviators, and then stuck a load of feathers onto a t-shirt (bought a feather filled pillow, and used fabric glue and hair spray to hold them in place), and wore some combats for bottoms/boots.

Who did I go as?

:lol: That's ace.

I've seen people dressed up as the ghostbusters guys in clubs before, they looked great.

How about the blues brothers, they're 80's aren't they? And then you could just where a dark suit and sunglasses, oh and maybe a hat. Does it have to be a film or tv character, could you just go in general 80's style fashion, there's quite a few ideas there.
    Hmm, I might do Ghostbusters then. I've already ordered the DVD for inspiration. But I'm tempted by all of the Indiana Jones merchandise that'll make my life much easier.

I think Blues Brothers in one of those where you have to explain to everyone who you are all the time. It's like going as James Bond.
    Hmm, I might do Ghostbusters then. I've already ordered the DVD for inspiration. But I'm tempted by all of the Indiana Jones merchandise that'll make my life much easier.

I think Blues Brothers in one of those where you have to explain to everyone who you are all the time. It's like going as James Bond.

I didn't find that when dressed as a Blues Brother on a stag do at Thorpe Park... Pretty much everybody of every age knew who we were, although you do have to try staying in full costume the full time.
    Actually, I'm thinking Indiana Jones. The hat, whip and bag are all available as fairly cheap official merchandise, and then the clothes are all fairly gettable. Okay it's an 80s movie set in the 30s so it might not fit in with everyone else's big glasses, but who cares?

My boyfriend went to a party as Indy and it was such a simple costume - he just rented a suitable hat and whip from a fancy dress shop and the jeans and shirt came from his own wardrobe. Avoid the official merchandise - our mate's dad went to the party also as Indy wearing this and it didn't look half as good as my bf's cobbled together ensemble.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    g_angel wrote: »

Home made costumes will always rule.