Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

ptsd help

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
im suffering from ptsd and findin it hard to cope at this sort of time at night anyone got any ideas of how to stop feelin so low and good distractions??

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Dont knwo how to help, but if you fancy a chat post away x
    i dont no what to say lol im useless with chattin
    I've never had the condition myself, so offering advice might be a little daft since i don't know what to say. However if you want distractions, maybe you could go to the cinema and see a film? go swimming or for a walk and let off some steam? play on a games console?
    I have found that to take my mind of stuff it's best to take one day at a time, now sometimes the days seem to last forever, but if you put your day into chunks of activities/rest then it might benefit you. hope that helps.
    Hi there willow03 :wave:

Am I right in thinking you manage okay in the daytime when other people are around but struggle at night when you're on your own?

If so, hows your routine? Do you get up at the same time (ish) most days and get any physical exercise during the day to help tire you out?

What kind of things do you like to do to relax? We have some suggestions - let us know what you think!

Also, what kind of support are you getting for the PTSD? Can you talk to anyone about this who might have some experience of what has worked for other people?

Keep posting to let us know how you get on :)
    i've had PTSD for a good few years and when thoughts start wondering in, or you get flashbacks its really important to do stuff to keep your mind active - calming music, books or TV programs - but nothing that could set you off! sometimes sitting with a herbal tea and a book is a really good thing.

it is very very important to learn self care stratagies - people with PTSD are very bad at looking after themselves and often end up having addictions or having completely neglected they're personal needs. when you aren't feeling so low its good to write a list of things that make you happy... it can be silly things - on my list i have angel delight and 60's kids TV, but i know things like a long walk with my ipod - and i have a special playlist too - can really help...

i have lots more suggestions if you want to Pm me!
    Its important that you get good support - talk to your GP, councilling can be of help, as well as many other talking therapys. some people find meds help, others don't - my opinon is still out on this one, even though i'm taking meds now...
    if you want to PM me please feel free! i've got lots of dif
    im seeing a councilor , day time is fine i can manage the flasbacks etc , night times i just cannot focus,

i walk 5 miles a day , i work on my car when i finish work , i chat to friends or go and see friends after my car , then i either read, listen to music or write but nothing will distract me, i also go swimming and to the gym when i can , i sleep 3 hours a night max but not a straight 3 hours . i been lookin after everyone else so much this yr , i hate asking for help i hate bein helped , im a ex self harmer and i managed to keep it at bay for so many yrs now but last night was crazy oh other things i do to relax is light candles , insense sticks etc i try not to drink booze of any kind but sometimes i get the malibu out , or i go for a long drive
    nothing seems to work anymore
    i think you need to talk to your GP - as long as they are understanding. I was managing ok until i starting to over busy myself and i ended up having a breakdown...

you need to learn to accept help - its the hardest thing but you need to learn to before you reach a really down point.

also remember that ptsd comes and goes, different things can set it off and sometimes it can be a long time after you have had any really obvious symptoms...

without knowing how your PTSD manifested - and its totally up to you if you want to say - its difficult for me to think of helpline and books and such to direct you to...combat veterans often need very different support to that of abuse survivors and etc...
    thanks for ya help peeps