Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Salary - How much should I ask for?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm going to go for an interview for a checkout/cash office manager's job in a retail store where I'll be working probably 45-50 hours a week and as well as my own job will have to supervise other staff and other operational duties.

I have seen what this job is offering and have heard from someone who works with the company that the salary is negotiable. I have no experience in management but have a degree and over 3 and a half years of experience in retail at a supervisory level - is it cheeky of me to ask for around 2 and a half k more than the suggested salary?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i don't think so! i'd go in asking for more than you actually want/expect to get. i did this for my last job and i ended up on a good few more grand than everyone else on my team who started with me and we were all employed to do the same job!

if the job has advertised a certain wage though, im not sure if they'll give you more. worth a try though :thumb:
    Not if you can prove why you're worth the extra money :)

I would say, though, it may put you at a disadvantage if there are people interviewed who have similar skills and experience to you, but ask for less money. Not universally true, but for a lot of places, if they see an opportunity to save themselves 2 grand a year, they'll take it! Especially in the current climate.

Oh, and good luck!
    Olive wrote: »
    Not if you can prove why you're worth the extra money :)

I would say, though, it may put you at a disadvantage if there are people interviewed who have similar skills and experience to you, but ask for less money. Not universally true, but for a lot of places, if they see an opportunity to save themselves 2 grand a year, they'll take it! Especially in the current climate.

Oh, and good luck!

I know that would have been true even 2 years ago - that they would want the experience over the expense but even in this financial climate I think it's the sort of place that would take on the person who sells themselves cheapest!