Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Failed!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
ok, in a nutshell:

I hate uni. im a second year and I am not motivated at all anymore. I dont wana fail but i really dont have it in me to keep at it.

So surprise surprise! i failed this year. Im faced with 8 retakes (or in other words, losing £320 paying for said retakes).

4 of them are filming projects - which i need to film and edit at uni but i dont have a house yet where i go to school because i cant afford it and can only afford to take the train up there like one a week. Deadline is next week and i have NOTHING filmed or edited.

2 are essays - ive started them but my lack of will to live and all means they are half finished. also due next week.

2 are exams - a law one 2morow that i have half heartedly studied for.

I just want to either die or run away because my life is pointless. im probably...no...im totally gonna fail uni, i have no job, am in debt, have minus 18p in the bank and have been single since burger king was a hut.
i have NOTHING to live for or be optimistic about.

And I know the obvious question is 'why dont you quit?'
well my family believes u are nothing without an education and ...
  • My dad is a Cambridge graduate
  • My brother graduated uni with a 1st 2years ago
  • My twin sister graduated from LSE with a 1st in economics (i took a gap year - which REALLY didnt go down well at all lol)
  • I have 3 cousins who are doing or have done law at Harvard.
  • A cousin who just graduated med school and another who graduated bio-med last year.

And BELIEVE ME...the list is endless.

We practically had a congressional hearing with my parents, aunts and grandparents when I told them i was studying journalism lol.

And i dont want to retake my second year because i only have enough strength to get through one more year before suicide or prostitution become sactual option :banghead:

Has anyone been through the same? is anyone going through the same? any advice would be much appreciated. Any words of wisdom would be awesome-o!

Thanks guys x
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Is it university you hate, or the particular course? If it's the particular course then sit down and really think about what you want to do, re-apply next year and come back stronger. You might have to pay the tuition fees for the first year of a new course, depending on what your circumstances are, and your student union can advise you on this.

If it's university life then think about what you like and what you hate. If you think you can change what you hate then come back and change it. If you don't think it's for you then what's the point in throwing good money after bad?

If you're feeling lonely and/or homesick, you should make an appointment with your uni counselling service and rant at them for a bit. It can be quite cathatic.
    Hey there

Sorry to hear about you failing your courses. It's obviuouly a really stressful time for you, but you can come back from it.

Have you spoken to your parents? Are they aware of your situation? they could surprise you and give you the support that you need right now.

Equally, it might be a good idea to have a chat with your one of your university tutors about your concerns. They should be sympathetic to your worries and will have been through similar situations before with other students, so will be able to offer you some constructive advice and hopefully be able to put your mind at rest.

The Prospects website has a great section on making a decision about changing or leaving your course which might help you think things through.

If you do decide you want to change universities it would be a good idea to contact UCAS (0871 468 0 468) as well as other universities to discuss your options and to ensure what they are offering is different from what you are currently experiencing.

It might also be worth having a chat with the Careers Advice Service on 0800 100 900. They will be able to give you some advice about future careers and learning options.

You might decide to leave uni altogether - it might just not be for you. It's hard when you've got such an academically high-achieving family, but there are plenty of other options for doing something fulfilling with you life. Check out this article to find out more.

Good luck!
    thanks for the responses guys and thanks for the article links.

dont rightly know what i hate the most. The course im impartial to. I dont love it but i dont hate it. The uni is actually really and i do enjoy aspects of it - possibly more the social than academic sides of it.

The last few years have been difficult for me so im thinking this is just the culmination a lot of things and i'm probably just experiencing a break down thats simply long over due.

When all my work is handed in next week, i will take a serious look at my life and start searching for that silver lining.

I had my law exam today and its safe to assume i have failed lol. It was absolutely tragic. half of it went fairly well but the second half had me totally stumped lol. So going to have to wait and see what happens but fingers crossed theres no retake for me in January. lol.

Anyway, thanks again for the words of wisdom. im off try and finish another piece of work. wish me mucho luck.

x
    No worries, sounds like you've got a plan of action, which is always good to help you see clearer. Good luck!