Home Work & Volunteering
We've started our first discussion for our Christmas campaign which is focusing on religion or cultural beliefs that help you when you're feeling down. Some of the responses will be used anonymously on social media as a video. If you'd like to take part, head over to this thread.

Salary - How much should I ask for?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm going to go for an interview for a checkout/cash office manager's job in a retail store where I'll be working probably 45-50 hours a week and as well as my own job will have to supervise other staff and other operational duties.

I have seen what this job is offering and have heard from someone who works with the company that the salary is negotiable. I have no experience in management but have a degree and over 3 and a half years of experience in retail at a supervisory level - is it cheeky of me to ask for around 2 and a half k more than the suggested salary?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i don't think so! i'd go in asking for more than you actually want/expect to get. i did this for my last job and i ended up on a good few more grand than everyone else on my team who started with me and we were all employed to do the same job!

if the job has advertised a certain wage though, im not sure if they'll give you more. worth a try though :thumb:
    Not if you can prove why you're worth the extra money :)

I would say, though, it may put you at a disadvantage if there are people interviewed who have similar skills and experience to you, but ask for less money. Not universally true, but for a lot of places, if they see an opportunity to save themselves 2 grand a year, they'll take it! Especially in the current climate.

Oh, and good luck!
    Olive wrote: »
    Not if you can prove why you're worth the extra money :)

I would say, though, it may put you at a disadvantage if there are people interviewed who have similar skills and experience to you, but ask for less money. Not universally true, but for a lot of places, if they see an opportunity to save themselves 2 grand a year, they'll take it! Especially in the current climate.

Oh, and good luck!

I know that would have been true even 2 years ago - that they would want the experience over the expense but even in this financial climate I think it's the sort of place that would take on the person who sells themselves cheapest!