Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What can you take on a plane? Food etc

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Hey guys, we are going away in 4 weeks to Majorca, what food (if any) can we take on the plane? Our little girl is 19 months so I want to take lots of little 'nibbles' fuit, rice cakes, sweets, do I have to buy them at the airport or can I get them from home?

WE are flying from Birmingham.

Cheers, I have never flown before so dont know anything!

Also we have got 5kg of luggage each - me and other half, can I use some of my allowance so I can pack a little bag for Ruby or has it got to be one bag per person?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey there, it depends on the destination. Nothing containing dairy products is a start! No nuts should be taken on board (not a rule; purely out of consideration for other passengers!)

No knives etc etc etc. No containers with any more than 100ml of liquid in them.

Don't take anything that you wouldnt want taken as different security agents can often apply different rules / enforce the rules in different ways!

Hope this helps!
    liquids includes ALL drinks as we found out flying from Birmingham, everything got confiscated and then we had to buy stuff from the authorised shops in the airport after we had been through security. I bought a bottle of ribena before going through check in from the airport, then they told me i couldn't take it on the plane. So you might want to check what you can do bottle / baby cup wise too, probably best to take empty cup and buy some fruit shoot or bottled water after you have been through the security bits. I don't think food is restricted too much, picnic type stuff is suitable but be realistic about what will be ok in your bag - nothing squashy etc.
    We flew out to spain last year, and we were told any snacks we wanted had to be bought at the shops in the airport, so i would probably do that.
    There is no restrictions on taking food through in your hand luggage but you should be realistic about how much your going to take etc - its not a massively long flight so just take some snacks etc.

There are some restrictions about meat and dairy products but these are mainly if your traveling outside of the EU - though there are restrictions about movement of poultry products.

here is a link to the airport security information which should be helpful http://www.birminghamairport.co.uk/showpage.aspx?id=66

But i think you need to have 3 bags each of 5kg max rather than sharing the 15kg between them all - but they might be nice and flexiable as long as it fits the maximum size requirements...
    riversj wrote: »
    No nuts should be taken on board (not a rule; purely out of consideration for other passengers!)

I just thought about that for the first time last week. How do they still serve nuts when people have severe allergies. Anyways, back on topic, you can usually bring anything that you can buy past security. Getting through security though is per country and per airport in some cases. That link should give all the answers for the trip there.