Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Help finding a film

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
About 15 years ago my mum started looking for a film she said she had seen in the 80's. Apparently it is called Supertrooper, stars Steve Guttenburg, and is a comedy about a guy who is on death row but every time they try to execute him he lives and he realises it is because if he looks at something red then he can't be killed, and in the end they think it is some kind of miracle that he hasn't died after all their attempts to execute him. Something like that anyway.

Since then everytime I've been to a market selling old videos, or car boot sales or anything like that, I've looked out for this film and have never found it. I've searched on the internet and even gone through Steve Guttenburgs biography online to see what films he has starred in, and not once does this film appear (I know there was a film called Supertroopers made afew years ago but this is not it).

I've come to the conclusion that my mum must have watched this film as just recently we were talking about it she is adamant that she has seen it, she can remember where she first saw it and who it belonged to and everything, but it must have a different title as it would come up on an internet search I'm sure!

So does anybody know what the film is and where I can get a copy? I doubt anybody will but after all these years it would be great to find it!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I can't help I'm afraid, but the observation of red objects reminds me of a 2001 (?) called Sixth Sense. I can't remember the plot was it wasn't my type of film but the bit I do remember is that objects that were unusually coloured in red beared some significance to the main characters in the story.
    I've searched for 20 minutes or so, but can't find anything about this. Can she remember anyone else who was in the film?

Sixth Sense was about a little lad who saw dead people... 1999, with Bruce Willis.
    Okay, I'm actually stumped - but here's a few suggestions

Terrible looking 80's death row comedy
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajLKE8BEoz0

(brief nudity)

Or Ernest Goes to Jail reminds me of the plot slightly -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBOWnsJ0nho

and there's quite a red tone to the scene, along with him surviving - it's 1990 so kinda matches the description. After they try to kill and capture him they probably realise he's the wrong man by the end.
    My bad about Six Sense's year number. I thought it was 2001 because that was the year when I saw it.
    Okay, one more possibility -

Steve Guttenburg starred in a short lived American tv series called 'Billy' based on 'Billy Liar'. it was made around 1979, remaking the 1973 ITV original. It's possible the first episode could have been longer than a normal episode and felt like a movie.

In the pilot there's the description of the following scene -

'Billy's imagination is heightened when he envisions his family as rolling in wealth, pictures himself as a broadcasting executive, uses a machine gun on his boss and then faces a firing squad himself.'

Here's the full details (as much as are available anyway) -
    http://www.tv.com/billy-1979/the-letter/episode/418282/summary.html?tag=ep_guide;summary

Interestingly episode 5 features the Incredible Hulk on a camping trip :)
    Thanks to all for your replies. Jim V thanks for the links, I've taken a look and will speak to my mum tomorrow.

Click to see more- no she doesn't know anyone else who was in it unfortunately, although thinking about it I think she started singing a song which was in it once, or saying a phrase or something from the film and she was laughing saying it is a great film and she really wishes she could see it again! I will probe her for more info tomorrow.

Monserrat- It's not the sixth sense but thanks for your suggestion. I actually quite like that film, I think I have it on DVD I might watch it again soon :chin: