Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

flatmates disputing bills!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
myself and my partner moved into a flat with another couple six months ago (letting agency). only three of us were on the lease myself my boyfriend and the other guy (his girlfriend moved in agreed by all but wasnt there to sign the lease). the letting agency gave my boyfriends name forward to scottish gas and hence the bills were in his name. we were constantly chasing them up to pay their cut of the bills and when we found out they hadnt been paying all their share we asked scottish gas to put their names on the bills which they did no question. when our flatmates found out they accused us of identity fraud which is absolutely ridiculous. on top of not paying previous bills they are disputing a bill they got in while we were away on holiday for a month, we all agreed they would pay their bill for the period we were away and we recorded the meter readings but now they want us to pay part of their bill as its quiet high. (they didnt open any of the bills while we were away, when asked why they said 'as the bills were in kevins name they legally couldnt open them').
we are all moving out soon and i want to get this resolved..
did we have the right to put their names on the bills?
if they refuse to pay the bill for the period we were gone what should we do??

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If they are living in the house and using the facilities then yes, the only reason they kicked up a fuss is that they are now legally liable for the bills, where as before they were not.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You had the right to put their names on the bill, as they're living in the property and liable for usage of gas and electricity. If you hadn't done this your boyfriend would have been the only one liable to pay Scottish Gas, so you did well to protect yourself. More flatmates should do that.

With regards to the outstanding amount, your bf is 'joint and severally liable' with the others for the bill. If they don't pay, Scottish Gas can go after your bf for the full amount. It's therefore important that he talks to Scottish Gas to make sure they know that your side of the bills are up-to-date, this makes it easier for them to just enforce the outstanding amount against the others.

It sounds like they're kicking off because you made them liable for paying their way. If you hadn't, your bf would legally have had to pay the full amount and then chased them for it later.