Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Painful Hip

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My sister has a problem with her hip, basically it hurts loads when she walks, and if you hold your hand over her hip as she walks you can feel a big click with every step she takes, it's horrible!

This was made worse when she was pregnant, she has had it for years and just recently it has gotten alot worse. She has been to the doctors so many times, but none of them seem to know what it is. She had a large steroid injection into her hip the other day, but apparently the doctor that did it said he didn't expect it would do anything and that she will prob have to go back to see them in 2 weeks if it is still hurting and they will refer her to the hospital. She has been referred before and they didn't know what it was so nothing was done! Does anyone else have any experience of anything like this? Anybody know what it could be?

Comments

• Options
    All I can say is I have this too. I also have a lot of other joint problems in my knees especially, so I have seen orthopaedic consultant many times about them and he has examined my hips. He sent me for an x-ray on it, but nothing showed. It does hurt me and the 'clunk' makes it hard to do some exercise, but I guess it's just how I am. I've also had tests done through a rhematologist to change for inflammatory changes in all my joints, and this was negative.

If she's had these tests and had the same outcome, it is likely that there is nothing they can do. She could take joint supplements- glucosamine and chondroitin, but these are more to help prevent further damage and help with cartilage healing, so I'm not sure it will do much. I do have painkillers prescribed, but it's for a mixture of things, and you have to be careful about taking them, as it's easy to become dependent.

Sorry I can't help more!
  • Options
    I have this aswell and has resently started to hurt a lot more. Mine tends to click when I turn my knee when I'am sitting aswell. I've been told it could be something to do with the tendons/ligaments. And I'm sure there is an exercise you can do to help but unfortunetly it won't cure it. I'll try and find out what the exercise is.
  • Options
    I have the same thing - only you can't just feel my click - you can hear it - and sometimes it sounds like the bones are actually grating together (mmm, very attractive and not weird at all). My shoulders are the same.

I've had years of all manner of tests done, plus about 6 months of physio, and the only conclusion they could draw was that they thought my hips were hypermobile (double jointed), and that this is causing irritation and the beginnings of osteoarthritis.

Advice I was given is - exercise regularly, but NOT running or jogging, especially on hard surfaces (apparently the best things are swimming, yoga or pilates), try glucosamine, and if you find something makes the clunk worse, try and avoid it.
  • Options
    I have the same thing, I was born with shallow hips so it means they wern't formed properly like the joints, try and get her to go to the physiotherapist, they can probs give her some exercises which can help, I have to do them but always forget :/
  • Options
    Thanks for all the replies, it seems incredible that people have this yet the professionals don't really know what it is! She did try physiotherapy but that didn't help, she's had x-rays which showed nothing. I guess she will just have to put up with it then, she does get a fair amount of exercise but lately it has been so bad she hasn't been able to walk properly because of the pain.