Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What is the difference between drug abuse and drug addiction?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am witing something freelance and just wondering if anyone can give me an addequite difference between drug abuse and drug addiction.

The definition of an addict is: 1. To cause to become physiologically or psychologically dependent on a habit-forming substance
2. To occupy (oneself) with or involve (oneself) in something habitually or compulsively

Definition of drug abuse: he use of illegal drugs or the inappropriate use of legal drugs. The repeated use of drugs to produce pleasure, to alleviate stress, or to alter or avoid reality (or all three).

The use of a drug for a purpose other than that for which it is normally prescribed or recommended.

the habitual misuse of a chemical substance

They are very similar definitions. Almost the same.

Why are people either classified as a drug abuser or a drug addict? Drug abusers don't usually get the intese care an addict does. Remember, the definition for addic includes psychological addiction... not just physical.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    a drug addict abuses drugs, but a drug abuser isnt necessarily an addict

You can abuse drugs without being dependent on them
    "The difference between substance abuse and addiction is very slight. Substance abuse means using an illegal substance or using a legal substance in the wrong way. Addiction begins as abuse, or using a substance like marijuana or cocaine. You can abuse a drug (or alcohol) without having an addiction. For example, just because Sara smoked weed a few times doesn't mean that she has an addiction, but it does mean that she's abusing a drug — and that could lead to an addiction."

http://kidshealth.org/teen/drug_alcohol/getting_help/addictions.html
    Addiction - being mentally or physically dependant on a drug.

Abuse - using drugs to a detrimental effect. ≠ use.
    One can abuse a drug without being addicted to it. Drug addiction involves a psychological and physical dependence on the drug.

Drug Abuse is the use of illegal drugs or the inappropriate use of legal drugs. Another definition of drug abuse is the repeated use of drugs to produce pleasure, to alleviate stress, or to alter or avoid reality (or all three) while Drug addiction involves compulsively seeking to use a substance, regardless of the potentially negative social, psychological and physical consequences. In other words, you may have a psychological and emotional, plus a strong physical dependence on the drug. When an addict stops taking a drug, it can produce an unpleasant physical reaction.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    kim robin wrote: »
    Drug Abuse is the use of illegal drugs

That's complete crap though. The use of illegal drugs is not always drug Abuse
    Weekender Offender 
    What about the use of mind altering substances for spiritual purposes ...educational ones too?Is that abuse too?
    People have used psyhco plants since the dawn of time for many reasons ...now we call it abuse ...utter rubbish.
    In my understanding the term 'drug abuse' is used widely by politicians and the media to mean any use of illegal drugs. Contrast this with the term 'drug use' when referring to use of illegal drugs, which is rarely, if ever used.

Whether the popular use of the term 'drug abuse' is in agreement with its real definition is not clear. In my opinion the term is often adopted over the less subjective alternative for its emotive tone. Users of the term 'drug abuse' can brand their targets both immoral and criminal in one go, thus reinforcing the agenda against drug users. The over-use of the term 'drug abuse' has successfully pigeon-holed all drug users in the eyes of many of the public, when in reality drug use does not have to be harmful or immoral.

I think if you compare the strict definitions of 'drug abuse' and addiction there are similarities - particularly in the implied negative impacts of both terms. However if the all-inclusive version of 'drug abuse' is compared to addiction, the two can have completely different meanings.
    By the way ...I smoke weed in a very positive way and for very positive reasons.
    In my understanding the term 'drug abuse' is used widely by politicians and the media to mean any use of illegal drugs. Contrast this with the term 'drug use' when referring to use of illegal drugs, which is rarely, if ever used.

Whether the popular use of the term 'drug abuse' is in agreement with its real definition is not clear. In my opinion the term is often adopted over the less subjective alternative for its emotive tone. Users of the term 'drug abuse' can brand their targets both immoral and criminal in one go, thus reinforcing the agenda against drug users. The over-use of the term 'drug abuse' has successfully pigeon-holed all drug users in the eyes of many of the public, when in reality drug use does not have to be harmful or immoral.

I think if you compare the strict definitions of 'drug abuse' and addiction there are similarities - particularly in the implied negative impacts of both terms. However if the all-inclusive version of 'drug abuse' is compared to addiction, the two can have completely different meanings.

Yes and many people abuse alcohol intentionaly without being an alcoholic.
    Yes and many people abuse alcohol intentionaly without being an alcoholic.
    Very true, although of course they will never be known as drug abusers.
    Very true, although of course they will never be known as drug abusers.

Good point ...same with nicotine chocalate coffee food etc etc.
    What about the use for pleasure ,..do people class that as abuse/
    cannabis_-_sagen.jpg
    marijuana_-_young.jpg
    there_s_hope_-_obama.jpg
    drugwar_-_soros.jpg
    cannabis_-_civilization_s_springboa.jpg
    Hi from my experience i had a very bad cocaine addiction and couldnt go a day without any but before i got heavely into cocaine i would say i was a drug abuser. Before i became very addictive to cocaine i used to dabble in speed. I used to only take it when i went out to clubs, and i have to admit i could take it or leave it, then i was introduced to cocaine by a friend (some friend u mite be thinkin). I started takin the drug occasionaly but before i knew it i couldnt do without it, but have now been cean from cocaine and any other illegal drugs for nearly 12mnths now, which i am very proud of myself, but i still get urges to take cocaine but so far not given into temptation.

Hugs Ruthie
    Therhere is a subtle but important difference between drug abuse and drug addiction. Someone can abuse drugs without being addictedDrug abuse and addiction reduce the brain's ability to function normally. ... What is the difference between someone who can dabble in illicit drugs
    Therhere is a subtle but important difference between drug abuse and drug addiction. Someone can abuse drugs without being addictedDrug abuse and addiction reduce the brain's ability to function normally. ... What is the difference between someone who can dabble in illicit drugs

The brains ability to function normally?
    I think the idea behind drug taking is functioning normally isn't enough.
    When Francis Crick was functioning normaly ...he was brilliant.
    He was struggling to understand the workings of DNA but couldn't quite get his head round it.
    Took some LSD and ...there it was ...in front of him ...in all it's glory.

DNA_rotating_animation.gif
    Was Francis misusing it?
    That's really facinating. (No sense of sarcasm here, I'm serious!)
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    That's really facinating. (No sense of sarcasm here, I'm serious!)

It is and it's more akin to shamanism than abuse.
    It's always been a puzzle to me.

For years I took coke every weekend along with pills and weed. At the same time I set up my own business and basically lived a very normal life. Out with the kids every weekend, holidays every year, stable relationship and had a kid but eventually this question got the better of me. Am I an addict, a drug abuser or a drug user?

I feel that I had a sort of dependancy albeit a pyscological one in my mind, I just associated the weekend with buying an henry of coke. Didn't touch it in the week, ok that's a bit of a lie but only every now and again if I was out mid-week, not Monday mornings!

I think its a combination of a few things that made me stop. Poor quality these days, fear of addiction, constant runny nose and the knowledge that you act like a twat when you're on it.

I still have the occasional joint and the odd pill, which by the way are fantastic when you only have them every couple of months but really don't miss the beak at all, not least the 'burning a hole in your pocket' feeling when you have it on you!
    You could also feasibly become addicted to some drugs through only using them through a perfectly normal way. Like painkillers. I am not sure about cigarettes.