Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Alcohol-free Mouthwash & Toothpastes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone have any thoughts, observations and recommendations related to mouth washes and toothpastes?

I've mainly been using Listerine but wondering if I should switch to an Alcohol free MouthWash

I've recently tried Corsodyl which tastes really foul but I think it's pretty good.

I also saw SuperDrug currently have a 2 for 1 offer on their range which includes an alcohol free one for sensitive teeth which tastes much nicer. It also has more then double the fluoride of the Listerine I was using.

As for toothpaste just trying the night time version of this

http://www.blanxuk.com/category.php?id=1

BTW a very interesting find here:

http://www.parliament.uk/deposits/depositedpapers/2008/DEP2008-2806.pdf

Comments

• Options
    Listerine is viscous stuff, dentists I don't know don't like it but for no particularly good reason.

Any particular reason for switching to alcohol free?
  • Options
    Corsodyl stains the teeth so use with care.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    Corsodyl stains the teeth so use with care.

I think it will stain more of you drink tea or coffee right away or if used long term for months on end.

As for the Alcohol I think it's mainly in there to give the mouthwash a longer shelf life, improve taste and cleaning action - but some people can find it dries out their mouths too.
  • Options
    dental PH is great! its whats recomended by piercists after oral piercings.
  • Options
    Crest makes an alcohol one. Alcohol based mouthwashes hurt burn a bit but that one had a weird texture to it and I wasn't a fan so I'll just stick with the Act.
  • Options
    I saw I first posted about 8 months ago thought a follow up would be handy ..

Just tried Corsodyl Daily Defence - a mint version with about a quarter of the active ingredient of the regular version - also tastes foul!!!

Weird thing is boots have their own brand version which is even more expensive!!

Anyway I have to say even though regular Corsodyl tastes horrid and stains your teeth brown if you've not brushed really well beforehand - it really works wonders for dry mouth problems

Shame there's no one decent mouthwash product does does everything without the drawbacks.
  • Options
    Dentyl is alcohol-free and tastes good, especially the Clove one! Listerine just burns, don't touch it :yuck:
  • Options
    Luce wrote: »
    Dentyl is alcohol-free and tastes good, especially the Clove one! Listerine just burns, don't touch it :yuck:

:yes:

Was gonna post an almost identical reply to this one, you beat me to it!
  • Options