Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Struggling with my thoughts on career paths and dreams

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I think this will be more a rant than something that people can really help me with but oh well, it's rare that I get things off my chest.

Basically I'm embarking on a PGCE in September and have been really looking forward to it despite being scared of having no money I've got everything in place financially and I'm moving to a new flat in London next weekend. All fine and dandy,just been offered an interview for temp job up until the course starts and have just left my wonderful, challenging job as a cover supervisor. I did love it. I ended up taking a lot more on then intended, a clicked with a lot of kids that other teachers have given up on and I found it rewarding so teaching will be great, I know it.

But on the other hand...I want to be acting. I did a drama degree, have performed all my life and if I had the finances I would be pursuing it wholeheartedly. But I can't afford to just give up, I can't even afford headshots to be convincing enough to be an extra and begin building a profile. I can't afford drama school. However much I want to teach, what I would give to pursue the dream and I keep getting knots in my stomach. I'm only 22 but I am also a pretty headstrong, driven person. I'm always running before I can walk but I just don't understand how people get by if they're not lending from a mound of money. Seeing facebook profiles of the handful of people on my course that managed to get on courses after uni talking about showcases having headshots professionally done. I want to teach, but in my mind part of me wants to do the PGCE, do my qualifying year then see how I feel. Is that wrong? I am wasting time and money? Eugh. Just feel that if I don't try for the dream, I'll regret it. But financially, I am nowhere near capable of doing anything.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Unfortunately it seems that you need money to get anywhere in this world. If you need to get another job while you chase your dream then so be it. Even if you don't end up going into teaching the course will probably give you some valuable information.

I can totally sympathise with the 'Facebook thing' I see people from the course I did saying things about their jobs in the industry while I'm stuck as an office temp. But I'm sure once I have the money saved up to pay for the things I need that it'll be worth slogging it out in a job I don't really want and I'll appreciate it what I do go into much, much more than those who had it easy.

Am I making sense?

To conclude, No I don't think what you're doing is wrong. If you like it you like it, great you have more skills to add to your CV. If you don't, well never mind.

Perseverance is the key and hopefully you'll get what you want eventually. If it all goes wrong with the acting (which hopefully it won't!) at least you'll have the teaching to fall back on.
    Sorry for being totally O/T but I remember us 3 chatting to each other on MSN hehe.
    Renzo wrote: »
    Unfortunately it seems that you need money to get anywhere in this world. If you need to get another job while you chase your dream then so be it. Even if you don't end up going into teaching the course will probably give you some valuable information.

I can totally sympathise with the 'Facebook thing' I see people from the course I did saying things about their jobs in the industry while I'm stuck as an office temp. But I'm sure once I have the money saved up to pay for the things I need that it'll be worth slogging it out in a job I don't really want and I'll appreciate it what I do go into much, much more than those who had it easy.

Am I making sense?

To conclude, No I don't think what you're doing is wrong. If you like it you like it, great you have more skills to add to your CV. If you don't, well never mind.

Perseverance is the key and hopefully you'll get what you want eventually. If it all goes wrong with the acting (which hopefully it won't!) at least you'll have the teaching to fall back on.

Yeah makes perfect sense. Feel like I need someone to keep me grounded sometimes! I know that I want to act, I know there are barriers in the way of that and I also know that going into teaching means I can do supply work (English and Drama teachers in constant need!) and so will get a lot more money from that then I ever would temping. I just feel like time is passing I suppose. You look at how much some people in the industry have achieved by the age of 22 and I think I'll only be able to dig my feet in when I'm 23/24 and it should scare me, but I do have a morbid fear of getting older, let alone never following my ambitions.

And Lea - I do remember - god see! See how many years ago that was. Aging is NO fun.
    know exactly what you mean, but I think doing the PGCE will definitely be worth it. you've said you're looking forward to it and you want to teach and while that may not be your ultimate goal it sounds as though you'll enjoy it. it also pays pretty well which means you should be able to save ready to go into drama. and it will give you something to fall back on if drama doesn't turn out to be a long term thing.

i know PGCEs and teaching in general are pretty intensive but there's no reason why you can't continue with drama things on the side - whatever you have time for really, just to keep up with it and build contacts etc. and who knows where that will lead? it's all very well having headshots and stuff but sometimes things come about just from who you meet. i know plenty of people with a similar goal to yours that have moved to london and taken on any work - temp work, bar work - while they try and get into films, plays and stuff and most have been unsuccessful but i think that's been made worse by the fact that their current job isn't anything special. whereas teaching will be rewarding and will, in some way, be linked to what you want to do. so go for it!