Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Starting a new pill - Cerazette

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I went to my doctor to get some more pills. During our appointment she asked me if I have had any migraines which I replied that I had. I also been having like a kind of drumming in my ear. She said I am at very high risk of developing a blood clot and has taken me off my usual pill and put me on a new one.

I was on Cilest, an estrogen only 21 day pill. Now I am on Cerazette, a progestogen only pill that lasts 28 days. My periods could come at any time, be vastly painful and heavy and possibly last all month...

Are any other ladies on this site on Cerazette or similar, and what are your experiences? I would like to know so I can gauge an idea of kind of what to expect on this new one...

Comments

• littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I loved cerazette. The whole time I was on it I had no side effects and my periods stopped.

But, pills affect everyone differently. My experiences could be vastly different to yours.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi,

Thanks for your quick reply. I am reading on other sites about different experiences and many of them are negative! :-S

With my usual period (on the other pill) I get the following symptoms:
    - Breast tenderness
    - Emotional sensitivity (not anger, just insecurity and mild depression)
    - Mild period pain

With Mycrogynon my period lasted four days but I was an emotional wreck. On Cilest my period lasts 8 days, but I hardly get emotional at all. However, I don't want a stroke so...

My concern is, a lot of women are saying they got upset tummy with Cerazette. I can handle a runny bowel but I am terrified of vomitting. I suffer with IBS anyway so the less symptoms I get from other things the better really. I am just wondering if this is right for me to be honest...

May I ask why you stopped taking it?
    I'm on cerazette for kind of similar reasons.

Not been back on it long as stopped taking anything for a while but was on it about 18 months until a year or so ago.

Firstly, the reason I stopped had nothing to do with Cerazette, I was just doing such a rubbish job of taking the pills and had no overwhelming need for it so gave up.

It's got the same 12 hour window as most of the other pills, unlike some POP which can be handy.

My understanding is that because it doesn't have a break and is a constant dose periods may come at any time, be heavy, painful etc but a very common experience on Cerazette is that people get no periods at all, or only very light occasional spotting.

If you're the kind of person who would find the irregularity worrying then it may well take some getting used to, but if you'd just find it annoying then it's not really that annoying.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Button86 wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks for your quick reply. I am reading on other sites about different experiences and many of them are negative! :-S

With my usual period (on the other pill) I get the following symptoms:
    - Breast tenderness
    - Emotional sensitivity (not anger, just insecurity and mild depression)
    - Mild period pain

With Mycrogynon my period lasted four days but I was an emotional wreck. On Cilest my period lasts 8 days, but I hardly get emotional at all. However, I don't want a stroke so...

My concern is, a lot of women are saying they got upset tummy with Cerazette. I can handle a runny bowel but I am terrified of vomitting. I suffer with IBS anyway so the less symptoms I get from other things the better really. I am just wondering if this is right for me to be honest...

May I ask why you stopped taking it?

I never had anything like that with cerazette. And you may not too. See how you get on with it. I took cilest for a while and that one made me ill. As I say, diff'rent strokes and all that.

I stopped taking it because we decided to have a baby. Not because I suddenly fell out of favour with it.
    Thanks ladies. :-)

I will reply on this forum how I am getting on.
    It's also worth bearing in mind when looking on other boards then generally people only bother to post about their pill when they are having problems with it.

Hardly anyone will start a discussion to say 'I'm on such and such a pill and I have no problems with it'. And in a similar vein, people are unlikely to reply to a thread someone starts saying their having problems with such and such a pill just to say that they have no problems. That's kind of rubbing in the injury to those who are having problems.

Generally the only threads where you're likely to get a reasonable amount of balance are the ones like this where it's been started by someone with no experience looking for info, and even then, on some boards, the users will by definition be those who have problems.
    I am taking cerazette, and i <3 it. No periods or anything remotely related for over a year :D
    Just thought I'd add in, if you're getting problems with this pill too you could try the patch, implant or coil. The patch didn't have any side effects for me.
    Do you still get a period if you have the coil?

I don't take the pill as a method of contraception really, more as a method to control my periods as otherwise they are extremely painful and heavy...

So far I am doing ok on it...
    This was started by me. The reason I put the name of the pill in the title is to get peoples attention. I want to hear from people who have had good and bad experiences - even if it is likely to be different for me.

There is a whole website for Cerazette by the way. If you go to google and put Cerazette contraceptive pill, there will be a link to a whole website with all the necessary statistics ect. Still, nice to know others experiences..
    Button86 wrote: »
    Do you still get a period if you have the coil?

I don't take the pill as a method of contraception really, more as a method to control my periods as otherwise they are extremely painful and heavy...

So far I am doing ok on it...

Yeh you do, and I've read they can be worse.

The implant can make them worse to start with, but the people I know that have had it say their periods stopped altogether with time.

When on the patch you only have a period when you take the patch off and leave it off. You have to change them once a week, but can just put a new one on and keep doing this for a while, I think 3-4months is perfectly safe.

I think the best idea is see if this works for you, because they affect everyone so differently, and go back to your dr/nurse to discuss further options if it doesn't or you just decide it's not for you.
    well i've got mixed feelings about cerazette. I'm on it for the same reasons, that I get migraines so I can't take the combined pill.

I've been on it for 9 months now and it's a bit hit and miss for me. I'll have no period for say 2-3 months (perhaps a bit of spotting though) but when I do get my period it lasts for about a month or so, and is very on and off (so for example this time around it started six weeks ago, lasted a week, stopped for 3 days, started for another week, stopped, etc. It's just stopped again and i hope this is the last of it!). :banghead:

I can handle having my period as such, it's just the not knowing when or how long it will be...very shit for your sex life! It also does make me break out alot on my t-zone (and i very rarely get pimples before this pill).

I've come so close to stopping it but I don't really have many other options and I keep being told it will settle down with time. I'll give it one more shot to see if my periods even out, and if not then I'm going to beg my doc for something else.

But having said that, lots of ppl are quite happy with it and don't get any side effects so you might be one of the lucky ones :)
    I haven't replied in a while.

Ok, so my period came. With no warning at all and extremely heavy and painful. Lasted a week and stopped almost as suddenly as it started. To top this I have been feeling very emotional, and hormonal (not normal for me) as well as having nausea, occasional diarrhoea (is that spelt right), I seem clumsy and I am ohhh so tired a lot of the time. I feel anxious a lot more than usual too (I am having counselling for long term anxiety but I seem to be moving slightly backwards now since all these other things started).

All started since that period which has stopped now but still getting all the other symtoms. Do you reckon it is related to the pill?
    How long have you been on it?

You've got to give a change in hormones a certain amount of time to settle down, and the change can often be the problem, but if things continue in this vein then maybe it's the wrong pill for you.
    Add to that list of symptoms very sore nipples. This is not a symptom I have ever had before in my life.
    I used to be on it too. I had no problems.