Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Celebrity chefs

**helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
Are there too many?

John thinks so. Check out his latest rant. :thumb:

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I like the combined cooking and travel shows. Especially Floyd in the olden days. Rick Stein's Vietnam show was good the other day. I don't really watch these Hell's Kitchen sort of things. I don't think they're anywhere near saturation point though, compared to stuff like property shows or makeover shows a few years ago.
  • Options
    I don't think there's many, though it's getting close, but no one on TV (except the gorgeous St.Delia) shows you how to cook. You'll get the odd nugget if info from Jamie, Rick et al but not actual teaching. Delia's always throwing in reasons why she's doing things, why the pastry is in the fridge for half an hour, why she's using a platic sieve instead of metal etc and it's all these little things that turn you into a cook.

Nigella's not too bad and i must admit i do enjoy watching her on telly and you do get more information about why she's doing things than the average chef.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    I don't think there's too many. Gorgon Ramsey can fuck off, but I like River Cottage and although I think Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall's a bit of a cock I find his cooking fascinating.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Some you like, some you don't. I can't stomach watching John Burton In Your Face or Gordon Ramsey but there a quite a lot i really enjoy watching.
    I would quite happily watch James Martin all day long but then that's probably more to do with me having a slightly weird crush on him. :D
  • Options
    Keith Floyd is the best. He just boozes his way through each episode so it's actually quite entertaining.

My favourite 'celebrity' chef is Nigel Slater, who is more a cook than a chef. Gordon Ramsay is a big fan of his, according to his (GR's) autobio.
  • Options
    Keith Floyd's programmes were great - cookery and travel show all in one.
  • Options
    I don't think there are too many, but not all of them are actually any good. I'd quite happily pop Worrall-Thompson and Harriott.

Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall is a bit of a ponce, but I agree with just about everything he says. People are too separated from the origins of meat and that separation does mean that factories can get away with inhumane treatment. If people don't think where the lamb steaks came from, they don't consider the factory conditions where the lamb was killed and prepared.

I just miss Jilly Goolden!
  • Options
    I'm pretty much with RubberSkin. There are a fair few celebrity chefs, but very few of them actually do any cooking any more. I love Hugh Fearnley-Bibblybob to bits, but I want to see him cook - the River Cottage series was brilliant for him cooking and teaching you about food.

I don't rate Jamie Oliver. His recipes often rely far too heavily on the very best quality ingredients, and lack flavour otherwise.

Heston's a novelty, but his cooking isn't useful to the layman.

When Gordon's actually teaching cooking I think he's technically unrivalled, but it's more about his ego and potty-mouth than anything else these days.
  • Options
    It's TV, if there's a demand for it then there will be shows for it. Same reason we have oodles of property development programmes and the like.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    It's TV, if there's a demand for it then there will be shows for it. Same reason we have oodles of property development programmes and the like.

No. It's cheap. 1 celebrity chef in their kitchen and a camera crew. It doesn't get much cheaper making a tv show.

Same for property shows, reality tv, auction shows. 1 or 2 presenters, a camera crew, no sets and joe public. Cheap cheap cheap.

As for Heston. Certainly entertaining and interesting, but come on. In one show he was making some soup or something and cold filtering it by getting it down to -80c. I've got a kitchen, not a cryo-genic lab :D
  • Options
    If people stop watching it though the tv companies will stop making it. Not sure about the BBC really as they're publicly funded and a bit of a special case, but Channel 4, Sky and so on are all private enterprises that are entitled to make money by putting on the programs that people watch (like Jeremy Kyle) and even better for them if they can do it on a budget. Would sack them if they did any BBC stunts like spending £1M filming a hot air balloon to use as filler between progammes!

The solution is fairly simple, and that's people only watch what they enjoy. Since less people watch less tv these days and use the internet more then that's obviously where the investment is going to be into making new websites rather than making amazing TV.

For what it's worth, I don't mind these cooking and property development programmes too much. I will wait for the intellectual elite to tell me how it's because im stupid or something :p
  • Options
    i used to live next to kevin woodford :yes: as celebrity chefs go tho, i think he's pretty low on the list
    he did invite us over and cooked for us a few times tho. gorgeous food unsurprisingly :)
    i saw ainsley harriot there once too and i waved at him from across my hedge.. and he waved back!! nice chappie :)