Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

operation :(

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
:nervous: i have a lump on my wrist and i have to have it cut out i am sooo scared about it tho...i have had an operation before but when i was like 5 or something when you are brave and never scared of anything but now i am proper scared!..what if something goes wrong? or they give me too much stuff and i dont wake up!...o god! :nervous: :nervous: :nervous:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm sure it will be fine and it will be over before you know it. :)
    i had all these worries just over a week ago, it was my first op, and tbh, anaethitists are far more trained that the doctors who operate on you, and they normally have to train for 5-7 years. they take so so many precautions, and for something like that they may not even put you under, they may just give you a local anaethetic which just numbs the area.
    As TT says anaesthetists are so highly qualified and trained that you shouldn't really worry about that. My auntie had her hip replaced and was just giving a local anaesthetic (epidural).
    I've had 5 surgeries in the space of 4years, and I know they did make me scared, but only on the day really. Try not to worry, everyone will be looking after you, and chances of anything going wrong is so tiny. Most likely if anything you will just feel and possibly be sick from the anastetic, and out of all the times I've had them this has only happened to me once. But once you've been sick you feel so much better.

It's not nice to have these things done, but if they are necessary you just have to get on with it and just ride through the feelings of nerves.
    i kno its me being silly i know they are not doing a local because the doctor told me they was knocking me out. Thank you all for you advice i feel a little bit better! :)
    :nervous: i have a lump on my wrist and i have to have it cut out i am sooo scared about it tho...i have had an operation before but when i was like 5 or something when you are brave and never scared of anything but now i am proper scared!..what if something goes wrong? or they give me too much stuff and i dont wake up!...o god! :nervous: :nervous: :nervous:

You probably have more chance dying when crossing the road than dying of a complication to surgery on the wrist.
    You'll be fine, it wont take long and they're professionals they know what they're doing :wave:
    Get a second opinion from another doctor!

Hey - my little brother had a liver transplant yesterday morning, which is about as serious operation as you can get - he's fine. Don't worry about it - they know what they are doing :)
    omg is he ok??
    Yes - he was out of intensive care the last night, and he is recovering well. He has been laughing and joking as best he can. Morphine is helping a treat as his epidural didn't work...
    makes me sound silly going on about a small operation i am having when he has gone through that.
    makes me sound silly going on about a small operation i am having when he has gone through that.

Nothing wrong with being worried about something you've never gone through before! :) Just posted this to show you that they do know what they're doing, and so try to chill as much as you can.

Funnily enough, he was well enough to be bothering updating Facebook this morning...!! :D:lol:

I had a lump on my wrist and had it removed, it's a quick operation and I was home a few hours after

As everyone else said, they know what they are doing so you'll be in safe hands :)

Just enjoy making everyone run around after you while you're recovering :thumb:
    g_angel wrote: »
    Funnily enough, he was well enough to be bothering updating Facebook this morning...!! :D:lol:

lol, hope he's ok.

I had the same concerns as the OP when I had my operation (different) done just under 5 years ago. I had no problems and had many more before the operation.
    aawww am glad he is ok :) x