Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Bad boss

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey,

I am looking for some advice on how to deal with a bully boss. I like my job but recently my new boss has been making my life a misery. :banghead:

My workload is unrealistic, I have been badmouthed to other senior staff (making an internal move difficult), and I have been threatened with getting the sack.

We have lots of complaints procedures and stuff but I know to leave that till a last resort.

So any ideas or suggestions would be great.

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    Could you speak to the person above your boss? You don't necessarily have to follow the formal complaints procedure, but could discuss the situation with their boss for them to talk to your boss. They don't even need to tell your boss you have spoken to them, they could suggest a 'development review' with your boss or something like that, and state afew 'observations' that have been made.
  • Options
    Angry_girl wrote: »
    ...and I have been threatened with getting the sack.

We have lots of complaints procedures and stuff but I know to leave that till a last resort.

If the situation is as serious as you are making out, I would certainly not say the complaints procedure should be viewed as a last resort.

I would start keeping a diary of events as evidence, and start proceedings if things don't change sharpish.
  • Options
    Hey,

Thanks for replying.

Yeah I tried speaking to her boss(informally), but she turned it around.

As for complaints I'm just scared to cause a scene. And these things can get pretty ugly for me aswel as her.

I don't know. See alot of people like her cause shes great with some people.

Whys this stuff always so complicated? :(
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    g_angel wrote: »
    If the situation is as serious as you are making out, I would certainly not say the complaints procedure should be viewed as a last resort.

I would start keeping a diary of events as evidence, and start proceedings if things don't change sharpish.

Definitely.

If you are receiving threats like this you need to start documenting and evidencing everything, writing it all down and then follow the complaints procedure. It's not necessarily easy, but you shouldn't have to put up with them smearing you.
  • Options
    Boss' are boss at times they make another policy above the policy that we know or signed for. that is usually difficult to handle especially that another boss can turn down those kind of complains. hmmmm.. I can just keep thinking. how bout consulting a professional on this? it would probably be worth it