Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

I'm going to...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
... Venice in October :hyper:

Problem is, I've never been on a plane before (not a moving one, just a still one at an air show), and i'm not sure what to expect... I'm going with people on my uni course and i'm anxious about it because i'll probably mess up somehow with boarding or bringing a stupidly heavy bag to lug around or have a panic attack at the airport.. meh

anyway, any advice on flying/ travelling/ Venice/ what to pack, would be appreciated.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Get there at least 2 hours early! The airlines have weight guides for your baggage, both hand and check-in luggage, so check them and buy some hand held luggage scales (they're about a fiver). As for flying, its okay, pretty boring really, you tend to get used to it very quickly but planes can get a bit cold at times so bring a jacket. Be careful, your ears hurt when taking off and landing because of the pressure. Some people don't feel it as much as others but usually sucking on a lolly or a hard boiled sweet helps a lot. As for boarding the flights, just follow your mates, make sure you find out the flight number and check the screens for when your boarding has started and ask someone if you get lost! Also make sure you're not putting liquids in your hand luggage- they will take your drinks and stuff off you if you have more than the guideline amounts. Hope this helps!
    lol yes thankyou that does help.
    a little sucky about not being able to take drinks, i like to take some water with me most the time because it's refreshing and i seem to lose my voice a lot so a drink helps.
    i'm sure we'll get told more, it's just me fretting! ;p
    have some for before you check in, they'll make you throw it away if there is any left but then you can buy some on the other side as there are lots of (duty free) shops with lots of lovely goodies
    I'm sure you can buy drinks from the shops that are after security as they have all already been checked and deemed safe. Theres normally a Boots or something after security near the departure lounge.

If you do need to take liquids on make sure that it is no more than 100mls in a container and put it into a clear plastic bag that is sealable like this http://www.flightsock.com/images/airport_security_plastic_bag.jpg and get them out as you go through security so they can check the clear bag. Ha ha I didn't last year and got dragged to one side and had it all litmus paper tested...the shame :blush:

Normally the flight there goes quite quick but the flight back is the one that drags so have a few mags, a book or your ipod for a little bit of entertainment.
    awww last time i flew, the woman in front of us has to drink her own milk, and then they made her partner drink some also haha, yum!
    skakitty wrote: »
    awww last time i flew, the woman in front of us has to drink her own milk, and then they made her partner drink some also haha, yum!

O.O
    I know, i heard her say "but...it's my breast milk?!" but dems the rules, just in case she'd, y'know, poisoned it...
    Did she have a baby with her? I'm just wondering why she'd had breast milk with her.
    Nutter wrote: »
    ... Venice in October :hyper:

Problem is, I've never been on a plane before (not a moving one, just a still one at an air show), and i'm not sure what to expect... I'm going with people on my uni course and i'm anxious about it because i'll probably mess up somehow with boarding or bringing a stupidly heavy bag to lug around or have a panic attack at the airport.. meh

anyway, any advice on flying/ travelling/ Venice/ what to pack, would be appreciated.

Its fine its actually very exciting dispite the ten billion year wait