Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Student Loan took payment without me knowing

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hi All,

I took a Student Loan during my time at University and graduated in summer 2006. I recall the grant comming back during my final year and felt hard-done-by when i was told that it's for new comers only!

A statement from SLC revealed that the loan had risen from just under £8000 to over £9000. This was due to inflation plus a bit extra has stated on the statements.

I felt pretty resentful that I was told that no inetrest would be charged but felt it was, loan was only increased even when inflation decreased and that i was not allowed to have a grant although a neighbour repeating his first year for the 4th time was!
So, i decided that i'm going to save up and pay back the loan as soon as! I felt they can't be trusted and they will mess me about more in future.

But, i started working over a year afterwards and was aiming to pay personal debts. I'd chnaged my address since and am certain that i have informed SLC.

SLC has been at the back of my mind as i try to make ends meets with my finances and i've had no post from them!

Suddenly, i open my paycheck and notice £40 deducted from my ~£1300 monthly paycheck.
They did not even in form me?
I currently need to pay barclays approx £300, local community centre £350 & Manchester English Acad £300 and thats before my expenses.

Are they allowed to deduct money without my consent or at leasting informing me?
Isn't £40 a bit too much?
:shocking:
Thanks for taking your time to read.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yes they are, they are doing the same with my OH. The more you earn the more they take.
    They absolutely are allowed to take the money without informing you first as it was part of the agreement when taking out a student loan is that money will be automatically deducted from your salary when you start earning over a certain amount. Thus you already new it woud happen.

Also once you start earning over this threshold they start adding interest. The biggest shock for me was when I got my yearly statement and found that although they had been taking deductions from my monthly wage the interest added was more than I had paid off so my loan actually increased.

Is £40 per month (before tax) really going to make that big a dent in your plans?
    I've been paying interest all through my uni period! Am i not supposed to have been paying this interest?
    I didn't know they start adding interest? Don't recall being told or reading that.

Thanks for your replies.

It doesn't help that I got married outside the EU, now am diashing out £200 for visa and £500 for appeal that I'm paying in installments. Soon I'll have to pay the full spouse visa and citizenship that amounts to a few thousand i believe.

I'm sik&tired of everday anyways.
    Got jumped of these druggies and i still see them driving round in their £65K cars and it mnakes you wonder why people that work hard have to suffer!

Anyways, how do you tie a noose? I just can't get it right!

Thanks again! :thumb:
    Of course they add interest. It's meant to be at a low rate, though I'm not sure if it is related to the current base rate, so it may seem higher than it should be just now.

However, you would have signed up to it, sorry.
    Am not stupid, i know they add interest. But there are lots of mixed messages, as people believe different things, and i've not actually found anywhere that says what it's supposed to be for sure. Many people believe that they don't add interest whilst you are studying- but perhaps that is a case of people misunderstanding the terms used.
    Student loans are charged interest from the date you get the first payment. The interest rate is set at inflation at a set point in the year, usually March, and unless there's a massive drop in inflation it won't change. You're not charged more than inflation for your loan.

What this means is that whilst you're studying the balance does go up, but that's because inflation (usually) goes up.

If you borrow £100 in January this will buy a basket of shopping. By the end of the year that basket will cost £103 if inflation is 3%. The interest rate is the inflation rate, so your interest will be £3, meaning you owe £103. However in real terms the amount you owe hasn't changed- you owed a basket of shopping in January and you still owe a basket of shopping in December.

If you want to pay it back early that's your choice, but it's the cheapest loan you're ever going to get. You can usually earn more interest from a cash ISA than you pay out to the SLC so there's no financial benefit in paying it off early.

Your monthly repayment is fixed at 9% of whatever you earn over £15,000pa. If you're employed, this comes off at source through PAYE.
    Try paying back £60 a month!
    MrG wrote: »
    Try paying back £60 a month!

Oh, don't start - we'll have somebody saying "HA! I pay £73!" and so on...

*yawn*
    Kermit is right about it increasing in line with inflation, there was even an emergency reduction this year because inflation fell. You aren't really being charged anything, it's just keeping the value of the loan current as money does lose it's value over time.

As he said, it's the best loan you'll ever get and it's written off after 25 years anyway.
    Given that everyone pays a flat rate of 9% of earnings over £15,000, all that ends up being is I EARN MORE THAN YOU LOSERS.

ShyBoy, you're completely and utterly wrong.

If you took out your loan before the 2006/07 academic year then any outstanding balance is written off when you turn 65 and not before.

If you took out your loan from the 2006/07 academic year and onwards then any outstanding balance is written off after 25 years, or 35 years if you took a Scottish student loan package.
    Yeah well not loads of money earning, I just got underpaid a few times, so when my back pay went on, it pushed me well over the monthly amount, and PAYE assumed I was earning zillions.
    Kermit wrote: »
    Given that everyone pays a flat rate of 9% of earnings over £15,000, all that ends up being is I EARN MORE THAN YOU LOSERS.

ShyBoy, you're completely and utterly wrong.

If you took out your loan before the 2006/07 academic year then any outstanding balance is written off when you turn 65 and not before.

If you took out your loan from the 2006/07 academic year and onwards then any outstanding balance is written off after 25 years, or 35 years if you took a Scottish student loan package.

Ok, I got mixed up with 15 years and 25 years.

You really need to take a chill pill sometimes, seriously.
    Point is, the OP graduated in 2006 so it doesn't get written off after 25 years, it gets written off when they're 65. I'm not being mentalist about this, but your post was completely and utterly wrong, so I said it was completely and utterly wrong.

Christ.
    Kermit wrote: »
    Oh for fuck's sake OP, maybe you should have spent thirty seconds reading the agreement and the information before you signed on the dotted line?

:yes: Am I alone in pretty much being bombarded with information regarding loans at open days and when applying for UCAS via college?
    I currently need to pay barclays approx £300, local community centre £350 & Manchester English Acad £300 and thats before my expenses.

Student finance don't care about this. And neither do any other loan company.
    MrG wrote: »
    Yeah well not loads of money earning, I just got underpaid a few times, so when my back pay went on, it pushed me well over the monthly amount, and PAYE assumed I was earning zillions.

That will go down when your pay settles back down. Things like back pay or bonus will skew that montsh deductions. Ditto for NI and income tax.

Your employer will get informed to take your deuctions but are no obligation to tell you. As for you not been being told, tough. The conditions for deductions are clearly set out in the terms of the loan.
    g_angel wrote: »
    Oh, don't start - we'll have somebody saying "HA! I pay £73!" and so on...

*yawn*

Well I pay £190 a month so there :p

At the end of the day, it's a loan, not a grant. You repay the capital plus interest. It is a very low rate of interest compared to what you would otherwise get from a bank, but it remains a loan nonetheless.
  • Olly_BOlly_B Posts: 222 Trailblazer
    Hi Tigerr,

Sorry to hear you are having problems with your finances.

As others have said, the Student Loans Company can automatically take money out of your salary once you are earning a certain amount. Interest is charged on the loan, but it is meant to reflect inflation rather than a commercial level of interest a bank may charge.

The important thing to do is take control of your finances. Work out who all your creditors are, and then work out what your monthly expenses are. Creditors will want you to demonstrate you are trying to pay them back, so if you can explain to them how much you can afford each month they may agree to reducing your monthly repayments.

Organisations like your local Citizens Advice or the National Debtline can help you with dealing with creditors and managing your debt; and you'll find lots of useful information in our credit and debt section.

Good luck,

Olly
    Well I pay £190 a month so there :p

:mad: ;):lol:
    For some reason I made my first payment of £4.00 towards my student debt last month. I automatically bin SLC letters so does anyone know whether after some years token payments have to be made?
    how often are we supposed to get student loan letters?

i have been paying off my student loan since late last year but i haven't had a statement in years. my fella recently got one but i didn't. i'd like to know how much i owe to be honest!
    You should get an account summary once a year.
    Thing is, your pay might be deducted all this amount, but it wont be forwarded on to the SLC till the end of the tax year.
    Ring the SLC and check they have the right address. We had the same problem with my brother and changed the coresspodance address back to my parents so hes does get the letters as he moves every year or so.

The SLC take a good few months after the end of the tax year to send statements out as they have the deductions information passeto them HMRC who in turn get the information from the year end payroll records. Takes a while to filter through. If you dont get anything by Mid-September ring and chase.
    You can also get details from the SLC repayment website.