Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Cutlery, crockery, etc. for uni - where to buy?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Am off to uni in September and need to buy cutlery and crockery before then. Apart from Ikea (we don't have one in Plymouth) where's the best place to buy things, please?

Don't want anything cheap that'll break easily, but nothing too expensive that may get pinched or damaged.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Go to the nearest IKEA. :)

Otherwise, supermarkets.
    Didn't think of supermarkets, thanks.
    Morrissons' (spit) do a good range of first home stuff that's quite good, especially their glassware.
    You can often find starter sets in the supermarkets that have everything you're likely to need, usually for cheaper than buying it all seperately.

Also try Argos.
    Matalan are pretty good for cheap pans and crockery, we've got a few pans from there and they're still going strong four years down the line.
    wilkinsons. dunelm mill, although last time i looked it wasnt that cheap. although if you can, go to ikea.
    Car boot sale - got full set of plates/bowls etc for £4 - that was 6 years ago still got em!
    Wow, it's strange to think that the best answer to this question was Woolworth! They sold a set that had plates, side plates, bowls and cutlery - about 3 of everything. No more than £20.

Now though, my gut reaction would be to try Argos as my first place for a similar set.
    Charity shops are by far the best bet as the starting point.

Check out supermarkets by all means, but then once you've got an idea of what stuff will cost there, then check out a few local charity shops. You can usually get top quality (if slightly dated patterns) there for less than supermarket cheap rubbish prices.
    Supermarkets are the best, really cheap, and usually with Ikea you have to buy a big pack of stuff, but you can usually buy them individually in supermarkets.
    Look around online at places like Debenhams, House of Fraser (A&N, Dingles, Rackhams etc) as they often do end of line crockey sets dead cheap. We go an 56 piece set 8 each of plates, side plates, bowls, egg cups, cups, saucers, mugs from Debenhams online for £20.

I wouldn't bother with charity shops for crockery and glassware. Crockery can be full of invisible hairline fractures and can break when you use it. Glass gets brittle as it gets older and shatters easily. Look around and you can find good quality, new stuff at a good price.
    don't get the starter kits from argos, they fall apart in week, and the china from asda chips and breaks so easily.
    John Lewis do starter sets as well - though i doubt there is one near you either as i think the closest is bristol but you might be able to buy online.

I went to matalan the other day looking for a cheap sieve and the cheapest they had was £10 - i was quite shocked they really seem to have put the prices up.

How about Trego Mills - i've never been but isnt' it a bargain hunters delight!
    Trago Mills is in Devon, so it depends on where Melian lives.
    Monserrat wrote: »
    Trago Mills is in Devon, so it depends on where Melian lives.

And Cornwall.
    I've just looked and there's not one close to me and no John Lewis either. :(

Have spoken to mum who said she'll give me some of the stuff we have at home and she'll buy some at Morrisons for me.