Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

getting worried about the move...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i'm moving to another flat next week in halls of residence, and i'm in a real pickle.

I'm not meant to be lifting anything because i've just had an op and i've still got stitches. My boyfriend is recovering from suspect swine flu, and it being the summer, i haven't got many friends to help me move. I've sent emails, messages on facebook, and called almost everyone i know that is in london or could get to london for next weekend, and no one has said yes. I haven't got any family to help me, and i have to move on a sunday, thus theres no staff available to help me. I have asked if i can change the moving date, so that i could get someone from uni mantainance to help, but the uni is undergoing renovations all summer, so its unlikely i'll get anyone to help. I can't afford to pay anyone to help, and i've bribed all my friends with some beer and munchies afterwards...

any ideas what i could do??

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    go and ask your students' union officers, they should be able to suggest something.

why do you have to move on a sunday? is there no way you could change it to the saturday or the monday?
    they are closed for the summer now.

i could change it to the monday but i would still have the same problem.
    Are you sure the union's shut for the summer? Ours isn't and my colleagues at other institutions are all still at work, mostly complaining about the student loans company.

You should be able to find a porter to help. There has to be some staff available, how else are you going to get the keys?
    there is office staff and security staff but they aren't allowed to help me due to health and safety.

i'm pretty sure it is, i was told it was going to be closed and only the central office to have a skeleton staffing service - but they are so unhelpful to harrow students it not worth bothering. I might have to pop in to the mantainance staff room with a box of biscuits and bribe the guys that helped me move before. I'm just not sure if they are going to be be allowed to with all this renovation work...and i'd have to hope i can change the day to monday...

i shall wait and see on monday what the managers say...
    Also if it is shared accommodation then when you get there maybe you can bribe your new housemates to help out, by plying them with food or beverage.
    its not, its self contained... :(
    See if you can get it moved to a more useful day, that way there'll at least be more of a chance for having people around to help you.

Start packing your stuff up now and make sure it's all really well packed up and neatly done, porters and maintenance guys etc will be a lot more likely to give you a hand moving some well packed up stuff than if it's a scene of chaos.

Get in touch with the students union, they'll have a certain number of staff there over the summer, and you never know, one of them may fancy a good excuse not to do any work all day. Going back to changing the day, they're far more likely to help if it's a day they would have been in the office anyway.

If you're not moving until next weekend, your boyfriend isn't necessarily not an option, a week is a pretty long time to get over any virus, most of the ones going around including swine flu only really last a few days.
    pretty sure the SU officers will be working all summer. the SU itself and its buildings eg the bar etc will most likely be shut but the actual officers should be working. two of my best friends are SU officers and they officially started on July 1 and are working all summer, except for pre booked holidays. almost certain it's the same for all SUs. Find their email/phone numbers and get in touch with them. i'm sure they'll be able to help. if they're anything like my friends they might even offer to help you themselves. or if not they're bound to know someone who can help. i'd definitely try your best to get in touch with them on monday.

how do you mean self contained? i'm assuming you'll have neighbours of some sort that might help?
    and feel free to PM or post the name of your uni - my friends that are SU officers are pretty good friends with a lot of other officers from different unis, happy to ask if they know yours and can put in a good word :)
    See if you can get it moved to a more useful day, that way there'll at least be more of a chance for having people around to help you.

Start packing your stuff up now and make sure it's all really well packed up and neatly done, porters and maintenance guys etc will be a lot more likely to give you a hand moving some well packed up stuff than if it's a scene of chaos.

Get in touch with the students union, they'll have a certain number of staff there over the summer, and you never know, one of them may fancy a good excuse not to do any work all day. Going back to changing the day, they're far more likely to help if it's a day they would have been in the office anyway.

If you're not moving until next weekend, your boyfriend isn't necessarily not an option, a week is a pretty long time to get over any virus, most of the ones going around including swine flu only really last a few days.
    i don't want to put too much pressure on him tbh, he's so run down, after looking after me in hospital, and then when i came home, and now with the flu. he needs the rest and i've been relying on him so much recently i don't want to give him added pressure after working a full week...

i'll give the SU a call on monday and see if she is in, but i'd like to hope i can sort it with the managers of halls, they are normally helpful, even if the office staff aren't always...
    I'm almost certain that Westminster's SU is open during the summer. Either that or their staff are ridiculously dedicated, seeing as they were posting on our mailbase last week!

The number is 020 7911 5000.