Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Cut vein in foot

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
last wednesday (15th july) i got a stilletto puncture wound to the top of my foot, i went to the walk in centre where the nurse said it looks like it hit a vein as there was a hell of a lot of blood, it couldn't be stitched or glued as there was not enough skin and the skin is too thin. Anyway i had steri strips and a dressing put over it and was told leave it 5 days and remove. On monday i had to go back as my foot got trodden on and had been bleeding through the dressing, the nurse re-dressed it added more steri strips and said to come back friday. So i went back friday and it's still bleeding and still bruised and still quite painful, it's been redressed again with just 2 steri strips and some seaweed thing then a big plaster over the top. Today my boyfriend caught my foot and it has bled all through the steri strips and you can see blood around the edges of the plaster thing.
Surely after 10 days this should be healing? i tried looking up cutting a vein but couldn't find much information.
it makes walking painful as i have to bend my foot and it keeps stinging, i've been told to go back monday but i can't see how its gonna have healed in 2 days when it's still bleeding.

Comments

• Options
    I'd go to A&E, though as it's now 7.20pm on a Saturdaynight ya gonna be in for a long wait.

How does your doctors out of hours work ? With mine you call the number, recorded message gives you a number to call and they make you an appointment at the local hospital.
  • Options
    it just seems weird that the nurses aren't worried :s
  • Options
    Hi. Sorry about you cutting your foot.:)

I agree with RS. Go to hospital and get it checket out!!
  • Options
    it just seems weird that the nurses aren't worried :s

Maybe she doesn't know enough

Maybe she doesn't know at all

Maybe she's just bumbling along

Maybe she knows it will heal

Maybe she thinks it will heal

Maybe she knows her stuff and you're that 1 in a million chance the text book tells you about.

Lots of maybes. Go see a doctor.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Maybe it would have healed if you didn't keep hitting your foot every few days...
    Don't get me wrong, this isn't an accusation or anything. I'm just saying that the nurse couldn't have predicted you'd be so unlucky. But in any case, yes, get it checked again.
    Maybe you should even stay inside for a few days, to make sure you won't hit your foot again.
  • Options
    I'm not massively surprised it hasn't healed if it keeps getting beaten up repeatedly.

Like you said the skin on your feet is thin and fragile and by the sounds of it every time it gets close to having had a chance to start to heal it gets battered again.

They'll want to see it again, not to see it's healed completely, but to see that it's making progress. There'll be slight concern that it's not getting better quickly which is why they keep asking you to come back, but not massive concern as there's a damn good explanation every time as to why it's not healing well.

Can I suggest that you probably want to put a reasonable amount of effort into looking after the wound? Feet heel rubbishly and slowly because they're an extremity with a piss poor blood supply compared to the rest of you and never get any elevation. Because of that you need to give them every helping hand you possibly can.

So, feet up whenever you get the opportunity. Sensible, flat shoes with a bit of protection, I'm thinking trainers or skate shoes kind of thing, whenever it's likely to be at any risk, so even round the house when cooking etc, but take them off when you're sitting somewhere safe.

If it's bled through the plaster thing and now stopped then don't worry too much about it this evening, if it's been bleeding continually for a while, then it's worth seeking medical advice. Do you know that the best way to stop bleeding is to apply pressure and elevate? That may be worth you bearing in mind.
  • Options
    I'd just go back to a nurse at the walk in centre tomorow. It's not suprizing it's not healing as each time it is hit it's taking away the healed part of the wound, it could also be making the wound bigger so it could take longer to heal. Get it re-dressed in the morning (as long as it's not bleeding through at the moment and you are loosing lots of blood, if you are, go to a+e, if not wait till the morning). Then, it might sound patronising, but be a bit more careful not to let anyone stand on it, or you knocking it. The prolonged time it's taking to heal becuase of it will increase chances of infection and damage to the tissue.