Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

I feel stuck

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'll try keep this short, I dont want to bore the hell out of you's.
Recently I've left my job, because of my depression I just could'nt face going in, felt sick the thought of going in..I got myself in some states in the morning, I'd be standing at the bus stop, seeing the bus coming and thinking '' Oh god I cant do it..will I run or get on?'' I did get on but felt ill for doing it, my doctor did say its important that you try going to work,it got to the stage where I couldn't. So I took the decision to leave as the company I worked for was a small family run business and knew they would need the staff at this time of year.
So now I've applied for housing benefits and council tax benefits,but the form is like a notebook,and soo confusing I've got to remember so much stuff..I'm going into this place to get help filling it out becoz I'm not good with filling out forms like that..We can afford this months rent and whatnot but im feeling incredibly stressed out about other payments for future months, My Girlfriend is off for a further 4 weeks due to her anxiety attacks but her therapy starts on monday..I just dont know whether to just ignore my depression and just get back to work on a part time basis,save me from all the benefit hassle ect..i just really dont know what to do...Just feel stuck!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Go and see your GP. They can give you medication to help with the depression and enable you to carry on as normal a life as possible. It might help for them to refer you to counselling to discuss the problems causing the depression, it sometimes helps to talk about it.

Go to the job centre for help completing your forms, it may seem like a hassle but it will take the pressure off of you worrying about finances etc for the short term whilst you focus on getting yourself well enough to work again.
    Fruit Loop wrote: »
    Go and see your GP. They can give you medication to help with the depression and enable you to carry on as normal a life as possible. It might help for them to refer you to counselling to discuss the problems causing the depression, it sometimes helps to talk about it.

Go to the job centre for help completing your forms, it may seem like a hassle but it will take the pressure off of you worrying about finances etc for the short term whilst you focus on getting yourself well enough to work again.

Yeah Im on anti-depressants and I've been referred,stillll waiting to get an appointment through.I just feel stuck with what to do..ignore the depression and get back to work or be a burden/failure n having to go through benefits..:S
    Well firstly you will not be a burden or failure.

If you feel up to a part time job then it could be worth a shot. But I would say don't do it because you feel you should, do it because you want to. If you Have to go on benifits for a while then you do. It's better to get your self sorted out then pushing yourself to far. :)
    Well firstly you will not be a burden or failure.

If you feel up to a part time job then it could be worth a shot. But I would say don't do it because you feel you should, do it because you want to. If you Have to go on benifits for a while then you do. It's better to get your self sorted out then pushing yourself to far. :)

:yes: I agree.

Depression is a medical condition, you are not a failure at all. You can't help the way that you are feeling. If the GP advises you stay off work then fine, if/when they suggest you go back to work (you said they said it's important for you to try to work) then start off part time and see how it goes. It won't do you any good to put yourself under too much pressure, get yourself sorted out first then take things slowly. Start by doing other things that involve being around others; go for walks, go to the shops, take a bus ride etc, so that you remain active and don't sink further into depression by becoming a recluse etc which can happpen when people with depression quit work. The medicine/counselling will help also.
    My boyfriend has been off work for 7 months now due to depression caused by his boss constantly bullying him. I would stay awake with him all night some nights because he'd brake down. The doctor gave him antidepressants and valium (god knows why) but he didnt take them as he has a very addictive personality. Basically he's on benefits (get them sorted asap because he's had trouble with his). Basically the story is now that he feels like he can go back to work, but he doesnt want to go back to THAT work, and new work is very hard to find at the minute but we're doing fine. What I'm trying to say is that leaving work is a big step, but you can't live your life miserable, its not fair. State benefits are there to help people in situations like yours and you've paid tax long enough to be justified in claiming help when you need it - this doesn't make you a failure. But be careful with how you manage your depression though, the longer you leave going without help, the longer you're going to be depressed and the more difficult it is going to be to get back on track. Good luck x
    Hello hide and seek :)

First off all welcome to the site, it is a great community of support as you ve already had from fruitloop and notanotherusername.

I have to agree you need to get some advice and talk to someone about where your depression started?

You then maybe able to talk with someone and get the support you need.
    Your health is very important and you may find you need finacial support, through the benefits so your able to focus your energy on you.

It sounds like you have a lot on with supporting ypour girlfriend to and a lot of pressure with your finacail out goings, have you trtyed sitting down with her and working every thing out, sometimes this can help see things clearer.

Good luck keep posting :thumb: